Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Normal Install or Frugal?

Post Reply
Message
Author
marlowe221
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Normal Install or Frugal?

#1 Post by marlowe221 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I don't think I really understand what a frugal install is and how it's different from a traditional OS installation.

Could someone fill me in? Are there scenarios where a normal or frugal install makes more sense than the alternative?

Thanks!

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: Normal Install or Frugal?

#2 Post by fehlix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm

marlowe221 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:28 pm
I don't think I really understand what a frugal install is and how it's different from a traditional OS installation.
Could someone fill me in? Are there scenarios where a normal or frugal install makes more sense than the alternative?
In short: If you do an USB-install you have MX-Linux on the USB-drive (USD-disk/stick) installed.
Now the idea of frugal is: Why not using the internal hard-drive storage similar, to an USB-drive.
In effect the files and folder you have on the USB-drive you find also and the hd with frugal-install.
The difference: You just do not start from LiveUSB but from Live-install on HD,
which we call "frugal". This is just not a normal HD-install, but a kind
of USB-Live install on on internal HD-disk.
This is a quite short high-level overview. LEt me know any details questions, you migth have...

:puppy:
--fehlix

User avatar
Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 8380
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 am

Re: Normal Install or Frugal?

#3 Post by Adrian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Frugal in my mind is a way of running Live mode from harddisk instead of flashdrive.

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: Normal Install or Frugal?

#4 Post by fehlix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Adrian wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm
Frugal in my mind is a way of running Live mode from harddisk instead of flashdrive.
+1 : short and precise :number1:

marlowe221
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Re: Normal Install or Frugal?

#5 Post by marlowe221 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm

fehlix wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm
marlowe221 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:28 pm
I don't think I really understand what a frugal install is and how it's different from a traditional OS installation.
Could someone fill me in? Are there scenarios where a normal or frugal install makes more sense than the alternative?
In short: If you do an USB-install you have MX-Linux on the USB-drive (USD-disk/stick) installed.
Now the idea of frugal is: Why not using the internal hard-drive storage similar, to an USB-drive.
In effect the files and folder you have on the USB-drive you find also and the hd with frugal-install.
The difference: You just do not start from LiveUSB but from Live-install on HD,
which we call "frugal". This is just not a normal HD-install, but a kind
of USB-Live install on on internal HD-disk.
This is a quite short high-level overview. LEt me know any details questions, you migth have...

:puppy:
--fehlix
The explanation makes sense, so thanks!

But, uhm.... Should I do that? Are there any pros and cons versus a traditional installation?

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: Normal Install or Frugal?

#6 Post by fehlix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:26 pm

marlowe221 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm
But, uhm.... Should I do that? Are there any pros and cons versus a traditional installation?
You should install traditional, if you have room for partions on your HD.

Frugal and LiveBOOT are just for having updatable LiveSystems (with data persitence)
which could be updated on USB ( or started like USB from HD (=frugal).

So LiveUSB ( or frugal) is just to let you have a complete and compact Systems.
The charm of live(USB/frugal is: That you can create out of an tradtional installed
system an "snapshot". Which you can take to install again into LiveUSB/(Live)Frugal.
E.g. you can use LiveUSB/frugal as backupo system of your traditionell installed system
by using Snapshots.
And you can re-install from you SnapShot LiveUSB onto you hardisk again.

There are so many options you can play with having tradional /Live/USB an frugal working together...
... You can copy the antiX-foldes fromLiveUSB to frugal for quick sync both instaledd systems.
... You can install frugal an existing NTFS/extf drive, with repartioning
etc ....

marlowe221
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Re: Normal Install or Frugal?

#7 Post by marlowe221 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I..... kind of understand most of that, I think. But yes, I think a traditional installation is the way to start for now. Maybe when I learn a bit more about how things work I can play around with the frugal options.

Thanks again!

Post Reply

Return to “Installation”