-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Live USB - "Look for boot files"

marlowe221
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Live USB - "Look for boot files"

#1 Post by marlowe221 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi all,

This is almost funny....

I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop.

On my desktop the MX iso loads up fine but the AntiX one was a real struggle.

On my laptop the AntiX iso loads up fine but the MX one is proving to be a real struggle.

The ISO is throwing a "look for boot file" and requiring a reboot. Failsafe mode gets me to a background but no UI. I have tried unetbootin and Rufus (both in ISO and DD mode) to no avail. What else can I try?

My laptop is a new-to-me Thinkpad T450 with no OS installed at all at the moment. All relevant settings are set to Legacy in the BIOS. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am currently downloading the monthly snapshot to see if I have any better luck with it.

marlowe221
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Live USB - "Look for boot files"

#2 Post by marlowe221 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 am

Update - I tried the monthly snapshot and a different USB (just in case) and it worked like a charm!

I also used Rufus in DD mode... probably too many variables at once to know which one was the thing that made it work.

DarkHorse
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by DarkHorse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 am

I'm having a similar problem getting MX-17.1 x64 Final to boot from usb on a desktop. "Fatal Error Could not find linuxfs file "antiX/linuxfs" ". Oddly, AntiX-17 x32 downloaded the same day boots just fine from the same 32 Gig ADATA usb stick. Processor is an AMD 64 and running Mint 17.3 x64 fine, also downloaded today. AntiX is perfect for the old 32bit laptop, but I'd like to use MX for the desktop as I've been a Mepis user since 8. I'm using multibootusb to set the distros on the usb, which has lots of room on it, and all the md5 sums match. Have tried to edit the grub.cfg files but don't think I'm finding the right ones-- the ones I see are identical for both Antix-17 and the MX and notably lacking in specific boot instructions. Maybe I should just give up and try burning the MX to DVD instead? Suggestions welcomed!

DarkHorse
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by DarkHorse » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm

FYI I was able to kludge-solve this by burning the ISO to a DVD and installing from that instead of USB. No more "Could not find linuxfs...". There must be a way to make the usb work for MX as well as it works for AntiX, though.

Return to “Installation”