News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing MX17.1 on a Dell XPS 15?

cheapybob
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Installing MX17.1 on a Dell XPS 15?

Post by cheapybob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 am

On my Dell XPS 15, I used a USB created by Rufus under Win/10, and with secure boot disabled I did the F12 while booting to get the option to boot the USB in legacy mode. It did not work in UEFI mode, nor did it work with a USB burned by AntiX live-usb-maker. I booted with CHECKMD5 to verify the USB, and there were no errors. Once booted you need a magnifying glass and go to menu, then settings, then display and change the resolution. I didn't do it at the time, but this would be a good time to connect to wifi if needed. then run the installer. I made many tries at installing grub, but none worked and I gave up, and installed grub to root instead of ESP. Once installed I tried boot repair but it didn't work. So then i rebooted under Debian (All other possibilities got me to grub-rescue>) and updated Grub from there, and then rebooted again and selected MX-17 from Debian's grub boot. At that point I went and tried the boot repair again and it worked.

PS: Sorry, my mistake, I didn't reboot again after that. It said it worked, but when I rebooted I get the grub rescue. The only boot that works is Debian's and I hve to do the F12 to get to it, but it does work to boot Debian, AntiX or MX-17 as well as win/10.

cheapybob
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by cheapybob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Ok, I found a solution

Use the Debian boot from above
select mx-17 and boot from it
from a terminal su into root mode

mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub

if you reboot now, the mx-17 boot menu comes up without the F12

fladd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by fladd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Same issue with MX 18. UEFI on, secure boot off. Created the USB drive with both Rufus (Windows), as well as Etcher (OS X, other machine). Both fail with the following screen after I see the MX splash screen (this particular example is in failsafe mode, but it fails also in normal mode):

Image.

Any advice on what is going on would be highly appreciated. I feel a bit like it is 2005 again...

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:56 pm

This problem will happen when you use a defective usb stick such as the SanDisk Ultra Fit. You can work around the problem by unplugging and replugging the usb-stick while we are looking for the linuxfs file. If you are using SanDisk Ultra Fit I suggest you only use them for data and not for booting. The same problem happens when you install to these usb-sticks. They work fine on some systems but not on all. I've replaced my Ultra Fits with Samsung Flashdrive Fit devices and these work like a champ. They cost more than the SanDisk but there is a good reason for that.

As you see in the screenshot (thank you for that!) the live-usb device does not show up. The Linux kernel does not see it. If this is like the SanDisk Ultra Fit problem then unplugging and re-plugging the device lets the Linux kernel see it.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

fladd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by fladd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:03 pm

BitJAm, thank you so much for this reply! It is a SanDisk Ultra stick, and unplugging and replugging it did work! Would have never figured that out!

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by BitJam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

fladd wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:03 pm
BitJAm, thank you so much for this reply! It is a SanDisk Ultra stick, and unplugging and replugging it did work! Would have never figured that out!
I'm glad you got it to boot! I had already worked on the problem for a long time before I discovered that unplugging and re-plugging worked. It was not the first thing I tried. If you worked on the problem for a long time, I'm sure you would have stumbled upon this work-around too. I'd love to find an automatic solution but so far, that has eluded me. Even being able to add a warning message when I see you are trying to boot one of these devices would be great but since the device does not show up at all, there is no way for me to know that is what you are trying to do. Again, thank you for posting a picture of the error. That can be an enormous help.

H'mm. Maybe I should add a warning that says something like:

Code: Select all

If you are using a SanDisk Ultra Fit, please try unplugging and re-plugging it 
while we are looking for the linuxfs file
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “Installation”