-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing MX17.1 on a Dell XPS 15?

cheapybob
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Installing MX17.1 on a Dell XPS 15?

#11 Post by cheapybob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 am

On my Dell XPS 15, I used a USB created by Rufus under Win/10, and with secure boot disabled I did the F12 while booting to get the option to boot the USB in legacy mode. It did not work in UEFI mode, nor did it work with a USB burned by AntiX live-usb-maker. I booted with CHECKMD5 to verify the USB, and there were no errors. Once booted you need a magnifying glass and go to menu, then settings, then display and change the resolution. I didn't do it at the time, but this would be a good time to connect to wifi if needed. then run the installer. I made many tries at installing grub, but none worked and I gave up, and installed grub to root instead of ESP. Once installed I tried boot repair but it didn't work. So then i rebooted under Debian (All other possibilities got me to grub-rescue>) and updated Grub from there, and then rebooted again and selected MX-17 from Debian's grub boot. At that point I went and tried the boot repair again and it worked.

PS: Sorry, my mistake, I didn't reboot again after that. It said it worked, but when I rebooted I get the grub rescue. The only boot that works is Debian's and I hve to do the F12 to get to it, but it does work to boot Debian, AntiX or MX-17 as well as win/10.

cheapybob
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Installing MX17.1 on a Dell XPS 15?

#12 Post by cheapybob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Ok, I found a solution

Use the Debian boot from above
select mx-17 and boot from it
from a terminal su into root mode

mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub