-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#51 Post by fehlix » Mon May 28, 2018 2:32 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm
...so waiting for the rice to dry it out :(
Don't eat the rice with the stick! Take the stick out! :crossfingers:

xali
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#52 Post by xali » Mon May 28, 2018 3:11 pm

dolphin oracle wrote:unfortunately I just put my usb stick that I was planning to test this with in the washing machine...
he made a foolish mistake BAN HIM!!! :fallchair: :letmeout: lolll

seriously now, if i remember well, i am not sure, people who come from linux mint and maybe other ubuntu derivatives, i think they use only one password (the root password) from time to time and maybe this is the reason that this mistake came out. if this is the case, a warning might be realy useful

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#53 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 28, 2018 3:17 pm

so I presume this is the message the OP was talking about:

Code: Select all

root@mx1:~# minstall 
No passwd entry for user 'demo'
I think that is there due to the demo account being removed prior.

at any rate, its a harmless message for the installer, but unless there is another existing user account (in addition to the root account), then the user creation step at installation will fail.

a personal snapshot with a existing user account will simply have that same user account upon install (the user creation step is skipped).

a snapshot with a demo account, upon install, will see the demo account modified into the new user account.

under debian, unlike ubuntu and mint, the root account and a user account must exist, even if their passwords are the same.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#54 Post by fehlix » Mon May 28, 2018 3:29 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:17 pm
...under debian, unlike ubuntu and mint, the root account and a user account must exist...
IIRC, *buntu's do have a root account, they do not have "given" a "known" root password, and by this it's a "bit" harder to login as root without having a password. They just do nearly always utilise sudoers mechanism.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#55 Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
unfortunately I just put my usb stick that I was planning to test this with in the washing machine...so waiting for the rice to dry it out :(
:laugh: Did you think that would clear some of the Gigs?

Oh man, thanks for making my day, I literally hollered when I read what you had done. My day was filled with goof ups. But this sure beats my putting my fridge veggies in the freezer today :laugh:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#56 Post by rokytnji.1 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:47 pm

My washed sandisk 2 gig cruzer still works. No rice was needed. Just 24 hours left drying in a non air-conditioned room in my place

harry@biker:~
$ inxi -W 79772
Weather:   Conditions: 105 F (41 C) - Clear Time: Mon 28 May 2018 09:46:57 PM CDT 

Richard

#57 Post by Richard » Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 pm

linwinux wrote:When I tried the sudo minstall command, the terminal made a reference about no password for "demo user" and I have no idea what a demo user is, or why I received that message?
That message from minstall is just saying that the demo user is not defined.

The normal & root users and their passwords are what were taken from the snapshotted installation.
In other words, for a personal install, the users and passwords are carried over to the snapshot.

If you use the same password for user and root on the base installation, then you just use them as on the original.

I need to read back. If this is out of order, just ignore.
MX171: Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119 GB SSD
MX171: AA1(ZG5)/EeePC-1005HA: DualCoreN270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150 GB HDD
DC9, LibO610, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. ____ Linux Counter #288562

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#58 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Eadwine Rose wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
unfortunately I just put my usb stick that I was planning to test this with in the washing machine...so waiting for the rice to dry it out :(
:laugh: Did you think that would clear some of the Gigs?

Oh man, thanks for making my day, I literally hollered when I read what you had done. My day was filled with goof ups. But this sure beats my putting my fridge veggies in the freezer today :laugh:
the stick works! but I had a strange moment. Plugged the thing in, got an I/O error after grub...turns out a piece of rice kernel was stuck in the stick! talk about needing to remove a kernel!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#59 Post by Adrian » Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:17 pm
so I presume this is the message the OP was talking about:

root@mx1:~# minstall 
No passwd entry for user 'demo'
I think that is there due to the demo account being removed prior.
This is a harmless command, it tries to stop auto-mounting for "demo" user, but since there's no "demo" user anymore it fails, I fixed that in code.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#60 Post by tascoast » Mon May 28, 2018 10:45 pm

I recommend using general snapshot when destined for other machine installs, based on a custom USB or secondary HDD install geared specifically for this purpose. You might use root Thunar to paste wallpapers or icons into the appropriate root dir folders. Avoid custom FF changes since these get reset to default when installing elsewhere (I recall). Xfce desktop changes, Conky, Wine etc seem to carry over seamlessly by contrast. Of course, with Virtual Box, you may have machines on another partition, which would need to be amended (after installing elsewhere) with Disk Manager, at minimum.

I use personal snapshots more as an immediate backup for unexpected hardware failure, but mostly as a genuine, functioning system archive, if ever I need to find an old bookmark, email etc. Everything else would be in my data partition or backup, in practice.

Both snapshot approaches are nice to have but do optimise different end uses, so working with this and allowing for some additional tweaks to a general install, like manually adding bookmarks and email, browser ad-ons etc. is my overall strategy.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Return to “Installation”