-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

linwinux

Re: Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#41 Post by linwinux » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Yes, root privileges for everything all over the place. When I installed and then customized MX Linux on machine one, there was only the default user with root privileges and the same password everywhere.

When I booted up the snapshot from that machine on another computer, I was prompted for that same password before being able to log in. 'I used the password from machine one and everything was fine.

When I tried the sudo minstall command, the terminal made a reference about no password for "demo user" and I have no idea what a demo user is, or why I received that message? However, I do remember clearly reading about demo and root users during the creation of the boot iso from the first machine, and I also remember clearly reading the part about demo users will by default not receive the contents of the home/user/Documents ... home/user/Pictures ... etc.

I need for the installation on machine two, to include all of my contents from machine one. They're already there on the stick. My password from machine one also worked on machine two ... which makes perfect sense since it incldued everything, including all settings. That's why it did not make sense to me, when the terminal responded with the message ... "no password for demo user"
... since I'm already logged into that machine as a root user with full access.

Sorry, but google translate is far from perfect when you're not a native speaker. Seems like people forget that sometimes. The more complex an issue becomes while requiring elaborate explanation, the less reliable google translate becomes as well. Just saying' ...

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#42 Post by skidoo » Mon May 28, 2018 1:15 pm

The MX Tools UI conditionally displays relevant items. Yes, during a liveboot session additional items are available ("live" section -- 4 items, vs 2)
no idea what a demo user is
The liveboot system includes 2 pre-configured user accounts:
username "demo"
username "root"

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#43 Post by Adrian » Mon May 28, 2018 1:21 pm

since I'm already logged into that machine as a root user with full access.
Never log in as root, many apps are not even designed to run as root. Maybe this is the source of all your problems.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#44 Post by skidoo » Mon May 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Sigh. I just scrolled up, reread, and discovered on page 4 of the topic: "oh by the way... my system has no non-root user accounts":
I'm working on a fully installed MX 17.1 setup. Finished installation with all available updates done as well. Single/only user is set up as root.
Yep. That's an unsupported scenario.
Although root login is possible, it is discouraged and
the installer is not wired to create a desktop operating system in which no non-root users exist.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#45 Post by fehlix » Mon May 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Adrian wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:21 pm
Never log in as root, many apps are not even designed to run as root.
We might think about, adding your warning above into our wiki and improve our manual. :happy:
Or we migth issue a popup like:
"We are going to format your partiton if you login as root!"
- ok that might be to drastically.

On that forum we might add something like:
"If you set up MX Linux with no "non-root user we will ban you for ever from the MX Help Forum."

Just a thought ;)
--fehlix

richb
Administrator

#46 Post by richb » Mon May 28, 2018 2:19 pm

I assume that is a facetious comment. If we ban everyone who makes a foolish mistake we will lose half our membership, including me. :eek: :happy:
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#47 Post by fehlix » Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm

richb wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:19 pm
I assume that is a facetious comment. If we ban everyone who makes a foolish mistake we will lose half our membership, including me. :eek: :happy:
Indeed, I haven't tought about this. A forum without forum-leadership migth be to drastic :mad:

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#48 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm

I am trying to confirm that if a demo account does not exist, then installation will follow as usual, although it may make you create a new account if there is no user account. I think if a user account already exists (like say "dolphin" on a personal snapshot-iso) then user account creation is skipped in lieu of the previously exisitng account.

unfortunately I just put my usb stick that I was planning to test this with in the washing machine...so waiting for the rice to dry it out :(
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#49 Post by rich » Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm
unfortunately I just put my usb stick that I was planning to test this with in the washing machine...so waiting for the rice to dry it out :(
at least you know the flash drive is clean

I'll see myself out.
MX 17.1 Dell Inspiron N5110

richb
Administrator

#50 Post by richb » Mon May 28, 2018 2:30 pm

And too drastic without our dev team leader. :p

As I recall on the personal snapshots I have made my user account, rich, is created with no other user account, And of course the roor account.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Installation”