-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#31 Post by Adrian » Sat May 26, 2018 11:56 am

I love asqwerth's post, it's perfect.

One thing I want to add: Instead of giving us a life story or a history of your feelings, which are both pretty irrelevant when trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it, try to respond to specific questions.

So, let me try for the 3rd time:
Adrian wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm
What is the size of the resulting ISO?
Please respond and give info especially when the questions are asked by the dude who wrote a big chunk of the program. There's no way to guess what you did, what's your computer configuration, where the problem actually is (if there's a problem or you choose a wrong option). I have no issues taking snapshots with all my documents (except that the resulting ISOs are too big so I don't usually do this) but there might be something specific to your configuration or the steps you took.

Are you running Live from a flashdrive and trying to take the snapshot, or running from an installed system (on a HDD/SSD)?

If you are willing to troubleshoot I can give you some steps to try to isolate the problem, but first thing I want to know is if your data was actually copied and doesn't show in your account for some reason or it wasn't copied at all (that's why I asked about the size of the ISO three times).

Another question, it might or not be relevant, what is the name of your user account, do you have multiple user accounts on the system?

linwinux

#32 Post by linwinux » Sat May 26, 2018 1:12 pm

The reason for stating earlier that I'll be back to report on results, is because I really don't know what more to say or add which wasn't said in the very first 1 or 2 pages of this post. Part of the problem is that I'm describing something here in English, while the actions of what I was doing were taking place on a German based MX 17.1 ... and the actual model of the computer is irrelevant because the problems are not hardware related, of that I'm 100% certain.

1. I'm working on a fully installed MX 17.1 setup. Finished installation with all available updates done as well. Single/only user is set up as root.
2. This finished system is then configured to my liking with German language apps, help files, sample files, etc.
3. When everything is completely finished, the machine sits overnight, followed by a final updates check the next day.
4. This finished system is then rebooted, and another update check is made.

5. Using MX Tools, Top (LIVE) portion, right side, I then begin creating a snapshot .iso which appears to work flawlessly since there is no indication of things not working correctly. On the screen with the options of what to exclude, I exclude absolutely nothing, since I want the finished .iso to contain every single item and package exactly the same way that I'm using MX Linux on that very machine, at that very time. During the beginning there's a standard notice or field which is built into the snapshot app, letting me know that upon completion the size of the .iso will be 9,7 GB. Snapshot completes with "success" message. I'm finished with snapshot ...

6. Inserting a previously NTFS formatted 16GB usb stick which is completely empty, I then use the upper left (LIVE) portion of MX Tools in order to create a fully functional, bootable usb stick. Now there is a logical assumption here on my part, since I'm assuming that the only way for me to use my previously created .iso snapshot, is by having it reside on a bootable usb stick, in order to be able to install that snapshot on another machine. This usb/boot creation process aks me for the location of the .iso file to use, at which time I point to the previously created 9,7 GB .iso file. I don't remember off-hand if there's anything else, but as before, the process completes with a success message.
I am now in possession of what I believe to be a bootable installation of the entire setup, with all files & settings from step 5.

7. Now I move to another machine which has no OS whatsoever. Just a blank hard disk that has 2 partitions on it. One large ext4 partition, and one 2GB SWAP partition, that's it.

8. Power is still off. I insert the boot stick, power the computer on, receive the MX 17 installation screen, press F2 for the German language, and commence with the installation of MX as I would with any ordinary downloaded MX .iso ... except of course that this boot stick contains my previously created snapshot iso instead. Installation goes without a hitch ... except for the fact that aside from installing all of the additional software packages, the remainder of my personal files from Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, as well as all of my personal panel & window settings are not there.

Of course it's only at this point, that it dawns on me that something went wrong. So I check the 16GB USB stick and see that A. the folder for the created snapshot is indeed there, with the correct label that I provided for it. But what I also notice at that point is that B. there's still 13.3 GB of space available on my 16GB stick. So somehow, the personal data which should have been included, was not. This is all that I can tell you because by now I'm finished customizing that second machine the old fashioned way. The machine itself has an Intel Core Duo P8600 processor with 4GB of RAM, 4x USB 2.0 Ports, and a 320 GB standard 2.5" disk. That system is located in a different part of the house though, which makes reporting here a bit of a pain in ...

Look, don't even worry about it anymore. I'll figure out what the problem is eventually. I clearly missed something about some sort of settings that I didn't select properly, possibly part of the language confusion. Just go ahead and close this thread, too many detours and personal junk that has no business being here anyway. I'll keep on re-writing over that 16 GB stick until I get it right.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Post by Adrian » Sat May 26, 2018 1:43 pm

OK, so if it's 9.7 GB ISO it should have all your files (depending on how much stuff you have on /home but unless you added a ton of programs it should not be much bigger than the MX-17 release which is about 1.3GB).

The problem might be when making the USB, since I see "there's still 13.3 GB of space available on my 16GB stick". So it's clearly not possible to write 9.7 GB on a 16GB stick and still have 13.3 GB available. Do me a favor and try to create the stick with "dd" option in USB maker. Using dd it creates a read-only USB so it won't be good if you want to use persistency, but it's a better test since it's exactly the image that you created. When you boot from the USB you should see your documents. I want to figure out at what step you stop seeing your documents.

1. Taking Snapshot (seems to save your documents because the size of the ISO is 9.7GB)
2. Creating USB -- this seems to be the issue since you get a USB with 13.3 GB available out of 16GB
3. Booting the USB -- here you should be able to confirm if your documents are available (probably not because of step2)
4. Installing the USB

So for now let's focus on step 2 and how you create the USB. Try the dd option and report back.
I clearly missed something about some sort of settings that I didn't select properly, possibly part of the language confusion.
It might also be a bug (maybe in the USB Maker), let's see what's going on and maybe we can fix it for you and for other people who might experience the same problem.

linwinux

#34 Post by linwinux » Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 am

I guess one way or another I'm making some headway. Deleted some of my custom files, replaced larger ones with smaller ones, and got the entire new snapshot down to 4.1 GB in size. Tried to create a boot iso by using dd from the dd selection menu, but that didn't work, or at least I think it didn't work because I ended up with a mountable file on my desktop which was only a tiny fraction of the size of my snapshot iso. Not even 1/10 the size of the full snapshot. Went ahead and deleted that one. Last thing that I tried was to create yet another bootable .iso by using the same button as before ... the one on the left side, at the top of MX Tools.
Now mind you, the finished Install that I was working with only had 2 buttons ... right side for creating a snapshot ... left side for creating a bootable .iso file.
That's important to note, beause ...

... when I took the finished boot.iso that was created with my snapshot.iso to another computer, this time the other computer booted up with everything intact. My files, my settings, my custom tweaks, even the custom browser bookmarks, everything was there. EDIT, oops, forgot ... but when I viewed MX Tools on this setup, there were 4 buttons on top and not just 2. No idea why, but the first two buttons looked like symbols for mountable sticks. The other 2 buttons were the ones that I was already familiar with.

Problem is, it's not installed on the new system. This time around there was no installation option once the stick booted up on the screen initially. The scren looked like the standard MX installation and I fully expected to be able to install once everything had booted onto the screen. Ah, well, missed that part somehow. :bawling:

So I've got everything that I want, exactly as I needed it to be ... but on a stick and not installed. So it's progress, since the stick is bootable. Now I just have to figure out how to create an installable .iso out of my personal boot .iso. BTW, I did take a bunch of screenshots all along the way to show everything that was being done, but with only 3 images per post I honestly didn't feel like making 4 different replies, each with 3 attachments, 4 of the images needing to be split between two replies. Seemed a little silly to me, sorry.
Also sorry about all of the writing, that's one of the compulsive things I'm dealing with and it's never going to change.
Just ignore my posts if they're too much to read. I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever.

Last edited by linwinux on Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 28, 2018 11:01 am

the installer may be called from the command line with

Code: Select all

sudo minstall
its there, just no desktop link.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

linwinux

#36 Post by linwinux » Mon May 28, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks, but when I try that, I receive a terminal response ... No password for user "demo"
A windows opens up on the screen which permits me to continue after selecting the keyboard (it's a laptop), but I thought that I read in some of the text about this, that user "demo" won't have the home/folders with their contents installed? I'm looking to install the entire kit 'n' kaboodle.

Richard

#37 Post by Richard » Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 am

If you are trying to install a Personal snapshot, you'll need to use the actual user/root login and key.
MX17.1____: T430-2017, 8 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, 119 SSD
antiX-/MX-171: AA1/Eee, 1 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 149 HDD
DoubleCmd, LO604, Dropbox, Slimjet, FFesr, mPDFed, Py3, CherryT, Vbox

linwinux

#38 Post by linwinux » Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 am

Well, the other computer where the snapshot was originally created, only had one default user with root assigned to that user. Passwords across the board, including for the keyring, were all the same password. That's why that "demo user" message is confusing me. I did have to login to the system when I booted with the snapshot .iso ...

fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#39 Post by fehlix » Mon May 28, 2018 12:26 pm

linwinux wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:12 pm
Single/only user is set up as root.
linwinux wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 am
...had one default user with root assigned to that user.
I must admit, do not have a clue what the OP is telling us or not, and what he is doing. I'm afraid, I have to stop reading this thread further, sorry.
:eek:
--fehlix

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#40 Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon May 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Are you giving the user root privileges? Is that what you are saying?
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.111 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

Return to “Installation”