-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#21 Post by fehlix » Fri May 25, 2018 1:53 pm

@linwinux, I‘d realy like to help you. But to be honest, I got a bit confused about your posts in this thread. That‘s not about you excellent English, rather about the content ;=). E.g.you are using the word "installation". Thats one confusing bit.
When you say "installation", do you mean creating an Live-USB stick from an existing ISO-snapshot? Or are you talking about installing from LIve-USB onto hard-disk?

Comment to your last post:
When you do not find you personal setting after booting with snapshot, you have
either not saved you personal settings during snapshot-creation
or
you have logged-in as a new user creating a new empty default profile.
Further you have not mentioned when you start from LiveUSB whether you starting with persistence or not.
If you start with persistence, you have further the choice to keep existing personal settings
or start from scratch.
Do you have multiple users, what useids? Does the default user on LiveUSB has the same userid?

Without telling us all the little details its not easy to help you not knowing exactly what you have done!
ttfn
:turtle:

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by Adrian » Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm

What is the size of the resulting ISO?

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#23 Post by fehlix » Fri May 25, 2018 2:14 pm

@linwux, some further thoughts.
Before you do a snapshot execise with such amount of huge data you have, why not
simply playing around with a test-installtion in VirtualBox.
You can try all variants of snapshots and LiveUSB-creation.
Thats far more quicker and take only about 5 to 10 minutes.
You can finally find out the best way of options to use this tool for your big snapshot.
And if want to be called an expert you can even boot from an exsting USB-stick within VirtualBox.
Let me know if you need help setup this up with VirtualBox.
:puppy:

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by Eadwine Rose » Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm

I have adhd, tip from fellow sufferer: just breathe instead of posting right away to get those frustration levels down first.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#25 Post by fehlix » Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Eadwine Rose wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm
... just breathe instead of posting right away to get those frustration levels down first.
Wow, that's a goot tip for me too. :number1:

Kulmbacher
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#26 Post by Kulmbacher » Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am

Step 2 if nothing helps:
Breath, switch PC off and drink a Kulmbacher in nice company ;-)

linwinux

#27 Post by linwinux » Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 am

Take a breath? Wow! If only it was that easy. Actual, professionally diagnosed ADhD takes 4 to 6 months, which includes tons of testing, diagnostics & reports ... plus OCD and HD to top off the ADhD. Taking a breath is for those who are self-diagnosed with Wikipedia & WebMD. In my case I generally wait at least 15 minutens to overnight before responding, if something seems really troublesome "frustrating" to me. Not that we're getting totally off-topic here ... :confused:

Some of the things that were said in this thread are way too confusing for me, dealing with new application functions in two different languages ... functions which are largely unfamiliar to me in both languages, as are those applications themselves ... with settings being mentioned that I don't even recall seeing in the German version. Perhaps I by-passed something, but then everything wouldn't have gone error free ??? Heck, I dunno.

I'll figure it out eventually, and when I do I'll post my findings. The appearance of making an image duplicate seemed pretty straight forward and more or less fail-safe to me. So clearly, I must have misunderstood something somewhere along the way, for all of my personal files not to have been included in the final boot iso. The software was there, but not my files which were in the home/user default folders. I just missed something, that's all ...

@Fehlix ... I don't want to install a virtual box, thanks anyway. Last time that I dealt with VMs I didn't like the performance drop and I don't have any problem installing, re-installing, etc. Operating Systems on my hard disk. I have tons of space and multiple partitions, so it's really not a problem. Besides, I use my system the same way that I help others to use their MX Linux. If I start talking about using the terminal and entering commands, then I might as well quit what I'm doing right now. Whatever I figure out, has to be without the terminal if I expect to be able to relate like or similar information to others who've been intimidated by computers to begin with.
Yes I know, to those who use terninals on a regular basis, that's probably inconceivable.
But then again ... those are not the kind of people who ask me for help, are they? ;)

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#28 Post by Eadwine Rose » Sat May 26, 2018 10:30 am

linwinux wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 am
Take a breath? Wow! If only it was that easy. Actual, professionally diagnosed ADhD takes 4 to 6 months, which includes tons of testing, diagnostics & reports ... plus OCD and HD to top off the ADhD. Taking a breath is for those who are self-diagnosed with Wikipedia & WebMD. In my case I generally wait at least 15 minutens to overnight before responding, if something seems really troublesome "frustrating" to me. Not that we're getting totally off-topic here ... :confused:
Oh... so you think I cooked up my diagnosis? Way to go with assuming.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

linwinux

#29 Post by linwinux » Sat May 26, 2018 10:35 am

Sorry, I can't imagine anyone with an actual written diagnosis to come up with ... take a breath.
That's about as useful as ....
Sorry, I take back the assumption.
Wow, is this getting ridiculously off-topic, or what? Wouldn't a PM be more appropriate than adding things like this to a thread? (rhetorical question)

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#30 Post by asqwerth » Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am

fehlix wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:53 pm
@linwinux, I‘d realy like to help you. But to be honest, I got a bit confused about your posts in this thread. That‘s not about you excellent English, rather about the content ;=). E.g.you are using the word "installation". Thats one confusing bit.
When you say "installation", do you mean creating an Live-USB stick from an existing ISO-snapshot? Or are you talking about installing from LIve-USB onto hard-disk?....
@linwinux, I think what some posters are trying to say is that when you ask for help, you tell such a long elaborate story in narrative form that certain key information is lost in the telling. See above as an example.

And perhaps, also that you should wait until you have more info and results from your tests before making another post.

I'm trying to be as delicate about this issue as possible because I don't want to insult you, but it would be more helpful for the people trying to help you, for your posts to be more succinct, and for you to start separate threads for each problem faced.

And please always post your particular system's info (output of inxi -F) for each help thread started.

After all, you may have more than one machine (or you're dealing with your friends' computers), and I recall you also referring to your wife's machine, so it would help to know this, as well as:

1. the specific problem
2. what you did/were doing to make this problem show up (any installation of package? if so, from what source?)
3. what did you do after this happened? Consequence of this?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Installation”