-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

linwinux

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#1 Post by linwinux » Wed May 23, 2018 7:04 am

Hi all. I tried to create my own MX installation iso because it includes various German language "new linux user" help files, using the create live usb option of MX. Total size including all packages was around 9GB and the stick that I used was a blank, ntfs formatted 16gb usb stick. The process was rather uneeventful, took about 45 minutes to an hour from beginning to end. No error messages at any point, success message upon completion.

When I tried using the stick on another machine, the screen initially looked just like the boot-screen when you first insert MX 17 on a usb stick, into a usb port.

However, after a few seconds a message appeared, stating something like:
Language Found (because I tapped F2 first)
Looking for boot device antix/linuxfs

Then the installation halted (got stuck on that screen). I waited quite awhile for something to happen, received no additional options on the screen.

Clearly, the machine had no problem locating the usb stick and providing me with an installation screen. So now I'm obviously a bit puzzled about what I may have done wrong during the creation of the boot iso? Any ideas? Thanks.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 23, 2018 8:37 am

please confirm the method used to make the USB stick (Mx Live Usb Maker? )
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by entropyfoe » Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am

The stick was ntfs formatted. Did you reformat it during the iso burn?

Are ntfs formatted USP drives workable, I thought fat or ext was recommended.
I' m sure there is a wonderful manual or wiki entry for this.....
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17.1, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by dreamer » Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm

I did a remaster a few days ago (I have done 4 in total I think). MX Snapshot seems very solid to me. The fact that you can manually select your preferred compression method and number of processors in the config file makes it suitable for low-end and fanless computers. I couldn't be happier with MX Snapshot.

When trying to transfer the .iso to USB there were two options. I was successful with the "MX" one in the past (1 time), but this time both "MX" and "Antix" USB tools failed. So I booted into Windows, used "Rufus" and my MX remaster was up and running in live mode. I recommend FAT32 for USB drives. I didn't bother to troubleshoot the USB tools, because this was on my "test" system which has seen many changes. If this had been on my "pure" system I would have reported the difficulties with the live-usb tools.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

dreamer wrote:I recommend FAT32 for USB drives
if your linuxfs file is 9GB, fat32 will surely fail, as that is over the fat32 file size limit.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by dreamer » Wed May 23, 2018 3:03 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm
dreamer wrote:I recommend FAT32 for USB drives
if your linuxfs file is 9GB, fat32 will surely fail, as that is over the fat32 file size limit.
The biggest iso I have made has been 3,2 GB. There used to be a 4 GB limit for iso files, but it seems that isn't true any more. If you run into a file system limitation the OS doesn't matter so it would fail anywhere. Good to know about Fat32 file size limit, I thought it was less, maybe 4 GB or something like that.

Nothing wrong with Ext4, but Fat32 is good for Windows interoperability.

linwinux

#7 Post by linwinux » Thu May 24, 2018 2:05 am

I dunno, I've made plenty of live images during the past few years and I've found that it doesn't really matter which FAT the stick has to begin with ... since the ISO creation software converts the stick to whatever's needed automatically. I normally start out with a FAT32 stick by default, but for the ISO with everything included, as described above, I started out with an NTFS format. Didn't think it actually mattered though, since the software does with the stick whatever it needs, based on whatever assignments or selections the user provides, no?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 am

linwinux wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:05 am
I dunno, I've made plenty of live images during the past few years and I've found that it doesn't really matter which FAT the stick has to begin with ... since the ISO creation software converts the stick to whatever's needed automatically. I normally start out with a FAT32 stick by default, but for the ISO with everything included, as described above, I started out with an NTFS format. Didn't think it actually mattered though, since the software does with the stick whatever it needs, based on whatever assignments or selections the user provides, no?

it depends on the tool used for creation. our tool (live-usb-maker), and tools that use "dd" would totally change any stick. tools like unetbootin do not.

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by azrielle » Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 am

I've never had a problem using USB sticks formatted to ntfs. Can't understand why anyone would willingly still use fat32?
Acer V5-171 i5/3317u 12GB 11.6" MX17.1/Korora26/SolydX9/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" Parrot 4.01 Studio/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 240GB SSD
Acer AO D257 Atom/n570 2GB 10" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by dreamer » Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 pm

azrielle wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 am
I've never had a problem using USB sticks formatted to ntfs. Can't understand why anyone would willingly still use fat32?
NTFS should be good. I recently used NTFS but went back to FAT32 after copy/write failure. I don't know if it had anything to do with NTFS.

Return to “Installation”