-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

linwinux

Re: Step by step for personal MX installation ISO ???

#61 Post by linwinux » Tue May 29, 2018 2:46 am

Lots of great information here, but also some pretty harsh & unrealistic comments. Sorry, had to be said. Now then, unless MX Linux is designed strictly for commercial, data sensitive use, there's simply no reason for any generic user *NOT* to be able to have root access. When a problem needs to be fixed, it's far too confusing to inexperienced users when you tell them suddenly ... Oh, you need to log in as root or do this as root, followed by accessing that as root. Computers have come a long long way from the "console requirement" days, and most users today, and I would say especially most inexperienced ones, know not to tinker or fiddle with strange unknown system related items, just for the heck of it. There's nothing wrong with root access ... on a 100% personal machine with a single user!

Referring to another comment here, yes, that's right, a lot of people are coming to MX Linux from Mint or other distros where you set up a single user on a single user machine one time, and that's it. Those people especially would "expect" to have root access from the get-go.

To explain better what I'm doing, and I'm convinced that I'm doing this the perfect way for what I have in mind, so I won't debate my motivations ... my goal is to get as many people as possible either away from Windows with a far better, more secure, stable, inexpensive Alternative, as well as providing a Linux based environment for people who are either new to computers, or those who've never had a computer before. I've been using Linux for around 10 years and I've been using XFCE for the majority of those 10 years. I have 27 years of computer experience, including dealing with people, tutoring, creating help portals Online, creatinbg computer setups for children, etc. So there's no doubt in my mind, that a "safe" root environment can indeed be provided to others, along with well placed easy to understand help documentation. This help documentation consists of written & picture files, as well as providing some music & video samples with screenshots.
It works like a charm, my wife and dozens of other people are living proof of this.
No reason to scare people and make them paranoid by throwing around words like root user, root access, admin privileges, etc.
Again, I'm creating an environment for personal private computers with single individual users. Root should be no problem!

So with that said, I do indeed want to transfer EVERYTHING that I have set up & customized on one of these personal single user machines, over to other personal single user machines. The stick that I have is working, it contains literally everything, even the keepassx settings, firefox settings, custom bookmarks, etc. Everything is there which would save me about 3 hours of time per machine, if I can figure out how to install that stick.

BTW, I get paid next to nothing for doing this. My wife and I are retired, I just want everyone, even poor people, to have cool, easy to use computers, without hidden background garbage, excessive costs, and crazy tracking/profiling functions like the ones that are built into Windows10.

The machines that I'm working wih, primarily laptops, have an empty ext4 partition on them. No other data, just an unused empty partition. There has to be a way for me to install or dump or transfer EVERYTHING from my working boot stick, to such an empty partition. This should not be overly complex, but that "demo user has no password" message, combined with what I read about demo users not being able to retain everything from the snapshot, has me just as paranoid as any Windows or Mint user would be ... exactly the kind of thing that I'm tring to avoid.
How do I get the working system from that snapshot, transferred to another machine with an empty partition?

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#62 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue May 29, 2018 3:11 am

Sorry, way too much to read, the gist you are stating is pretty much: I want a user to have root privileges from the getgo.

I will repeat the comment someone else made in a different form earlier: logging in as root is not wise, you may ruin your system.

Logging in as root as a new to linux user is disastrous, they WILL ruin their system, and you will be left with the pieces. You're better off building a kiosk system.

With that said, good luck, but note this saying: If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

linwinux

#63 Post by linwinux » Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 am

Sorry, your comment is totally out of place. That's what happens when "it's too much to read" where no comment would have been far better than one that serves no purpose. My experience, combined with the fact that I've converted or introduced almost 40 people to Linux during the past several years, speaks for itself. Out of all of those people, only one had a problem ... which wasn't even related to data access or doing something which might ruin something else, but rather the fact that this person had no intention of learning anything at all, ever. When this was made clear, I put them back on Windows7 ...

xali
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#64 Post by xali » Tue May 29, 2018 3:55 am

linwinux wrote:I've converted or introduced almost 40 people to Linux during the past several years
not under debian though. as dolphin said, "under debian, unlike ubuntu and mint, the root account and a user account must exist" and as adrian said some applications can't even run as root. others who know better than me will explain you why (i think)

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#65 Post by skidoo » Tue May 29, 2018 4:26 am

a lot of people are coming to MX Linux from Mint or other distros where you set up a single user on a single user machine one time, and that's it.
Those people especially would "expect" to have root access from the get-go.
Yo! A couple links to refute the assertion that immigrants from other distros would expect to login to desktop session as root user.
Thread: Forum policy on log-in-as-root tutorials https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
I'm creating an environment for personal private computers with single individual users.
it's reasonable to expect they will engage in websurfing, and online banking, and... :blindfold: :hell:

:hitoverhead:

linwinux

#66 Post by linwinux » Tue May 29, 2018 4:46 am

This thread is being hi-jacked again and everything is getting off-track. Using a web browser, Online banking, etc. has nothing to do with anything. The only thing that's relevant to this thread, is how to get everything from my bootable snapshot onto another machine. I take full responsibility for what I do and how I present my finished computers to the people whom I'm helping. That's not what this post of mine is about. How do I move or copy everything from my working boot snapshot to another machine, with everything ... including existing passwords, intact? That, and that alone is the question here!

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#67 Post by fehlix » Tue May 29, 2018 5:02 am

The resistance of the OP against other peoples advice is remarkable.
This forum is about helping people to setup and use MX Linux and antiX.
If the system build with mx linux is setup in way which is not supported and not intended
the only advice you will get here in the forum is to start from scratch.
If you ignore the advice and ask further help for such non recommended system setup
we might think about rejecting those questions and we might think about
closing those threads, too.
Yes, that’s a warning!
--fehlix

linwinux

#68 Post by linwinux » Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 am

I already stated on page 4 that the thread can be closed. This is Linux, Fehlix, and as such it is open for anyone to use pretty much as they see fit, regardless if this meets your expectations of how others should use their MX installation, or not. :mad: Nowhere, in this forum, does it state that what I'm trying to accomplish is not possible or forbidden to do, with MX Linux. It amazes me how others are trying to force another person to comply with something, just because they're unable to or unwilling to help !!!!! It is perfectly fine to close this thread, there, I've said it again. Believe me, one way or another I will find my answers as I always do ... with or without your help. If this thread is still open at that time, I'll be happy to post the solution and mark it as solved. If the thread is closed, then so be it ....

richb
Administrator

#69 Post by richb » Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am

It appears to me this thread has served its purpose. Advice was asked, and advice given by several people which has been rejected. So I am closing the thread.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Installation”