-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED - Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

#11 Post by dreamer » Mon May 21, 2018 2:20 pm

skidoo wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:53 pm
Reload (as others have posted) will "make everything(*) show up" immediately in synaptic.
* MX package installer lists some additional available packages which, given the default sources.list repos, are not displayed in synaptic.
This plus make sure you're on a good mirror. My default mirror (Germany was automatically selected on two occasions) failed.

linwinux

SOLVED - Re: Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

#12 Post by linwinux » Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 am

I went ahead and did the update / upgrade, which still persisted in not allowing me to search properly for anything & everything within Synaptic. I used the refresh option as well. It's working now, but the bottom line was that I had to update / upgrade / refresh / restart, in order to get Synaptic working properly. It's not a problem at all, just somewhat unexpected. The post is solved, will mark it as such, but here some of the requested images anyway:

zsynaptic01.jpg
zsynaptic02b.gif
zsynaptic03.jpg
(each of the 3 attachments is under 200KB in size in size, don't know why they keep vanishing after the preview. The largest one had to be turned into a .gif for size reduction)

Explain, exactly, the steps you took to find the packages in MXPI. Because I am thinking you simply missed something in there. I can install anything I need from the MXPI, even from testing and the debian backports.
I'll have to wait for the next MX install to answer that, as I'm assuming that now that all's well with Synaptic, perhaps the MX package installer may have changed somewhat after the update/upgrade too. That's why I ended up not using MXPI initially, as I was looking for some, what I consider to be basic things, which couldn't be found. As far as physical usage of MXPI is concerned, there's really not anything that anyone can do wrong. Open up the installer on the screen, open up a desired category from the left column, and then view the installed/available packages on the right side. That's about it, right?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richb
Administrator

Re: SOLVED - Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

#13 Post by richb » Tue May 22, 2018 5:08 am

This was posted yesterday

viewtopic.php?p=448011#p448011
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

linwinux

#14 Post by linwinux » Tue May 22, 2018 5:17 am

Another attempt at images, without first previewing ... ;)

zsynaptic01.jpg
zsynaptic02b.gif
zsynaptic03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: SOLVED - Re: Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

#15 Post by asqwerth » Tue May 22, 2018 6:37 am

linwinux wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 am
...As far as physical usage of MXPI is concerned, there's really not anything that anyone can do wrong. Open up the installer on the screen, open up a desired category from the left column, and then view the installed/available packages on the right side. That's about it, right?...
Nope, that only describes the use of the Popular Apps section of MXPI. If you click on the tab for Full App Catalog, choosing Main/Stable Repo will give you a listing of everything found in the main repos, same as Synaptic. There is no left column for categories in Full App Catalog.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 am

yeah, its only showing installed packages. you have to hit the reload button to refresh the package database. synaptic does not do this for you.

eventually, over time, mx-updater will do this, but not right after installation unless you do a manual "Check for updates" from the updater right-click menu.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Installation”