-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED - Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

linwinux

SOLVED - Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

#1 Post by linwinux » Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 am

Depending on the type of machine that I'm dealing with (usually 5 - 10 year old notebooks), I generally like to install some updates which aren't part of the system by default. Various GIMP related extra, LibreOffice Extras, Thunderbird Calendar Addon, KeepassX, Various minor Games, etc. In order to save time I'll usually open up Synaptic, get rid of what I don't want (Hexchat, Pidgeon, Midnight Commander, Transmission) ... followed by installing all of the extras that I do want by default.

Well, in MX this doesn't seem possible for some reason. Every time that I install MX, five times so far, Synaptic only has very limited packages available, usually none of the extras that I'm looking for. Even after adding Debian Multimedia deb and Debian repo deb, followed by refreshing, still those extra packages won't show up. So the question is ... where are they and how do I enable for them to show up right after I install MX? Crazy thing is that if I wait a couple of days after the first updates, then everything becomes available suddenly. I'd like to enable whatever it takes to make everything show up in Synaptic right away, immediately after installing MX ...
Thanks.

EDIT: Thank you! Terminal commands for update & upgrade, plus refreshing packages in Synaptic, followed by a restart, did the trick.

Last edited by linwinux on Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Synaptic - Remaining / Complete Packages - Where are they?

#2 Post by asqwerth » Mon May 21, 2018 12:01 pm

That doesn't sound right. Are you on the correct filter in Synaptic, ie, the various choices in the left panel under "Status" >> "All" or 'Installed' or 'Available' etc? You should be on "All" to view all packages in the enabled repos.

But should you be enabling Debian Multimedia repo? That's a 3rd party repo that can cause package conflicts.

As for Debian Repo - if it's in the Debian Stable repos, why would you need to add a package via .deb file? It will be present already.

Perhaps it would help if you show us the output of:

inxi -r

and let us know where you downloaded the .deb files from.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by azrielle » Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Perhaps it would also be helpful if you gave MX's PACKAGE INSTALLER a try. HINT: It ain't Synaptic!
Pardon my testy observation, but MX really does do some things differently. It has been my experience over the past 2 years that, where that is the case, there's a really good reason for that--and it's worth trying MX's well-thought-out alternative!
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB 14.1" MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB 12.5" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Mon May 21, 2018 1:17 pm

It sounds a lot to me like Synaptic hasn't had time yet to build the package database right after the install, since they become available later. You can test this easily by hitting the Reload button in Synaptic, or using the apt commands in the CLI.

linwinux

#5 Post by linwinux » Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

That doesn't sound right. Are you on the correct filter in Synaptic, ie, the various choices in the left panel under "Status" >> "All" or 'Installed' or 'Available' etc? You should be on "All" to view all packages in the enabled repos. But should you be enabling Debian Multimedia repo? That's a 3rd party repo that can cause package conflicts.
azrielle wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm
Perhaps it would also be helpful if you gave MX's PACKAGE INSTALLER a try. HINT: It ain't Synaptic!
Pardon my testy observation, but MX really does do some things differently. It has been my experience over the past 2 years that, where that is the case, there's a really good reason for that--and it's worth trying MX's well-thought-out alternative!
Yes, of course I have "all" enabled when I do my searches in Synaptic. Otherwise the searches won't encompass the entire lot of packages, including Oxygen symbols, Oxygen cursors, the things that I mentioned above, etc. I've been using Linux full-time for almost 10 years now, so I'm quite familiar with the havoc that Synaptic can cause in the wrong hands.

After I installed MX for the very first time, I did indeed check out the MX Package Manager. But there are quite a few things which aren't there ... which I've gotten used to using with every XFCE setup that I've had for the past 5 years or so, and I'm not willing to use alternatives which are IMO inferior or undesirable packages. Which Office package do you think is best? Which password manager? Which panel? Which browser? Which quicky games? The list goes on and on, and we all have our very own preferences which we've acquired over time. I want my oxygen symbols and cursors and gimp extras packages, and so on. It's not like I'm trying to use unity desktop packages on XFCE or something like that. I'm only looking for XFCE compatible packages. After all, isn't that what Linux is supposed to be all about ... freedom of choice (amongst other things)? If everyone took a linux distro "as is" to be the best or whatever a person is looking for, then there wouldn't be a bunch of good distros in the first place. And if Synaptic in MX worked for me the way that I'm used to having it work out of the box with Mint, then I wouldn't be asking my question here, about Synaptic.
I do appreciate a lot about MX Linux, but I also appreciate the things that I've gotten used to having with XFCE. ;)

When Synaptic didn't provide everything right from the get-go, I figured hey, no problem, it's probably because some source didn't get enabled for whatever reason. That's the only reason why I enabled the deb multimedia and the other one. No problem, I won't do that anymore. Still have to figure out why I can't get all of Synaptic working on my (GERMAN) setups? Can't imagine that it has anything to do with the language selection though...
Will return with a screenshot or two, tomorrow ... have to retrieve it from the other machine. :eek:

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon May 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Explain, exactly, the steps you took to find the packages in MXPI. Because I am thinking you simply missed something in there. I can install anything I need from the MXPI, even from testing and the debian backports.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP Envy5030

Richard

#7 Post by Richard » Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm

On all installs of every Debian or Debian based distro I have ever made in the last 15 years,
in some form or another, the data base must be updated or installs will fail in synaptic, aptitude or apt:

Code: Select all

# apt-get update
and it is best followed by

# apt-get full-upgrade
to confirm a good install.
I often forget and the system reminds me.
MX18b1: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-amd64, 119 GB SSD
MX18b1: Eee&AA1 NBs: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-686, 150 GB HDD
DoubleCmd/Thunar, LibO613, Dropbox, Vivaldi/Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 21, 2018 1:48 pm

unless you are getting stuff from "Popular Apps" or from our test repo, synaptic has a bit more functionality with regular repo packages. For instance, it marks depends packages (MXPI will install them, but it doesn't mark them).

I'm with stevo though...this sounds like the apt cache doesn't update correctly. because if apps show up after some period of time, then they should show up right away after an repo reload (or apt update for that matter).

the desktop DE shouldn't make a hill-of-beans difference to what is displayed in synaptic. although I have in the past selected a filter in synaptic (one of the buttons on the left), and that has confused me from time to time because upon a quit and restart, the filter was still active.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by timkb4cq » Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 pm

All of those show up by default in Synaptic here. For example, here is the Thunderbird Calendar plugin
Screenshot-1.jpg
Could you post the results of

inxi -r
so we can see what repositories you are using? Perhaps you are on a troublesome mirror...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by skidoo » Mon May 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Crazy thing is that if I wait a couple of days after the first updates, then everything becomes available suddenly. I'd like to enable whatever it takes to make everything show up in Synaptic right away, immediately after installing MX ...
That describes the "normal" behavior / scenario across various linux distributions (is not specific to MX). With some distros, the installer presumes (doesn't ask) you want to copy the [potentially stale] packagelist database from the liveboot system, copy it to the installed system. With other distros, the installer omits any pre-existing copy of the packagelist database. The latter is arguably preferable for 2 reasons: avoid stale info, and shave XXseconds off the time required to perform the installation.

Reload (as others have posted) will "make everything(*) show up" immediately in synaptic.
* MX package installer lists some additional available packages which, given the default sources.list repos, are not displayed in synaptic.

Return to “Installation”