When I clicked the installer and chose to manually set up my partitions, gparted would hang forever scanning for devices. Meanwhile, the installer window would start glitching out.
It's a bit difficult to describe, but whatever window or section of a window was floating over the installer window would leave an imprint of itself inside the installer. so let's say my browser is completely covering the installer, what would happen when I move the browser is that a portion of what was being shown in the browser window would end up in the installer window.
after waiting some time it became clear to me that gparted was totally messed up, so I closed it and the installer, which was unusable at this point. When I tried to start it again, it said it was already running and that I would have to run pkill minstall, which I did.
After several attempts, I just decided i'd make my partitions using fdisk. I wiped the partition table on /dev/sda and created two new partitions: a 30GB one for root, and the rest of the 1TB disk for /home.
However, when writing the partitions, fdisk would lock up the terminal window, and could not be aborted even with ctrl+c. starting up another terminal and running lsblk would show that the partitions weren't there, but they did show when I ran it after rebooting the computer and restarting the live system.
So with my two partitons made, I started the installer again, opting to install on existing partitions. I selected which ones would be / and /home, and then clicked next. Now the installer is making the filesystems apparently, and is doing that window imprint thing as described above, and i'm just waiting and hoping that it resolves itself at some point.
I am using the 64-bit monthly ISO. Here's my inxi -F
Code: Select all
System: Host: mx1 Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14, 2018 Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z77-DS3H v: x.x serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: F8 date: 08/21/2012 CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-3770K type: MT MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB Speed: 1602 MHz min/max: 1600/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1602 2: 1602 3: 1606 4: 1602 5: 1602 6: 1602 7: 1671 8: 1615 Graphics: Card-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] driver: nouveau v: kernel Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.2) driver: modesetting,nouveau unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV124 v: 4.1 Mesa 13.0.6 Audio: Card-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Card-2: NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-1-amd64 Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 90:2b:34:5a:c5:df Drives: HDD Total Size: 2.74 TiB used: 1.21 GiB (0.0%) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1002FAEX-0 size: 931.51 GiB ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD20EARS-00M size: 1.82 TiB ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 7.47 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 12.45 GiB used: 252.1 MiB (2.0%) fs: overlay dev: ERR-102 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nouveau temp: 41 C Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 1102 Info: Processes: 244 Uptime: 27m Memory: 15.63 GiB used: 1.09 GiB (7.0%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.00