-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installation issues and concerns

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Adrian wrote:We need the process that starts (GParted) to block input to the installer because we need for the process to finish before we continue to do stuff in the installer. Probably the best choice in this case would be to completely hide the installer and display it again when you close GParted.
your libcmd might do this better as well. I haven't tried that.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Adrian » Tue May 08, 2018 3:43 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Adrian wrote:We need the process that starts (GParted) to block input to the installer because we need for the process to finish before we continue to do stuff in the installer. Probably the best choice in this case would be to completely hide the installer and display it again when you close GParted.
your libcmd might do this better as well. I haven't tried that.
Yes, I think it might look better, the GUI should still update because while the process is blocking the UI events are still processed.

MrPhantomDude
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Post by MrPhantomDude » Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm on a different distribution (Xubuntu) now, but i'll provide some additional details from my attempts at MX. Hopefully they help.
as a clarification on the GParted issue, it actually failed to launch at all when run via the menu. No error code or message. It just didn't open. When it was run through either the terminal or through the button in the installer it did launch, but it got stuck at scanning.
Also, the issue with the installer window having after-images of other windows happened regardless of whether GParted is launched or not.
The two areas I know it happens are:
a. When GParted is launched from the button in the installer window
b. When It's setting up the filesystems a bit later in the installation
When it has the after-image problem, the window becomes unresponsive, with the cursor looking as though you are hovering over text, on the entire contents of the window.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by sunrat » Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm

I have a similar system with GTX970 and vaguely recall having problems installing from live boot. I installed using the Install option rather than live boot and editing the GRUB kernel line to add "nomodeset". Installation went smoothly from there and I rebooted and installed newer kernel and nvidia driver from stretch-backports. System is running sweet now!

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by GuiGuy » Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 am

sunrat wrote:I have a similar system with GTX970 and vaguely recall having problems installing from live boot. I installed using the Install option rather than live boot and editing the GRUB kernel line to add "nomodeset". Installation went smoothly from there and I rebooted and installed newer kernel and nvidia driver from stretch-backports. System is running sweet now!
How do you get to "the Install option"?
Sorry if that's a stupid question but I am getting old and senile so I don't see how you get to any options without booting a live USB or DVD.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by sunrat » Wed May 09, 2018 8:24 am

The install mode may have been from a different distro I recently installed. Apologies if that's so and I can't check right now.
You can select the option of Safe Graphics in the live boot menu which includes nomodeset.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by GuiGuy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 am

At this time, our live boot is evidently not usable with the GTX970: should there be a warning somewhere to save the GTX970 users from wasting their time trying to install MX?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 am

GuiGuy wrote:At this time, our live boot is evidently not usable with the GTX970: should there be a warning somewhere to save the GTX970 users from wasting their time trying to install MX?
Let's see what happens when we modify the installer first. I can duplicate this issue in Virtualbox.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Post by GuiGuy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:12 am

DO, our live boot also fails to start gparted with the GTX970: it is not just an installer problem.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am

GuiGuy wrote:DO, our live boot also fails to start gparted with the GTX970: it is not just an installer problem.
can you give me a link to that info?

Return to “Installation”