Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Selected boot did not athenticate

Post Reply
Message
Author
silverpuma
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Selected boot did not athenticate

#1 Post by silverpuma » Sun May 06, 2018 10:49 am

Hi all, just tried 3 times to install mx-17 on my hd from a live usb. I get to the end each time and it begins to reboot then it says .... selected boot did not authenticate.....

When do I remove the usb live stick? Before it begins to reboot or leave it in till it hopefully starts again. No doubt this is me doing something silly....

Thanks in advance for the constant help

silverpuma
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: Selected boot did not athenticate

#2 Post by silverpuma » Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 am

AHH all sorted. Went into bios enabled legacy and now booting from hd all seems fine. Sorry for the stupidity.....

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 16512
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Selected boot did not athenticate

#3 Post by Stevo » Sun May 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Some Live USB creation tools seem to create a USB that does not boot with Secure Boot enabled, at least in my experience. Can you tell us what you used?

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Re: Selected boot did not athenticate

#4 Post by sunrat » Sun May 06, 2018 6:48 pm

silverpuma wrote:AHH all sorted. Went into bios enabled legacy and now booting from hd all seems fine. Sorry for the stupidity.....
Sounds like it was being blocked by Secure Boot.
Secure boot is a feature of UEFI. Maybe if you had disabled Secure Boot you may have been able to install in UEFI mode.

I guess legacy boot automatically disables Secure Boot?

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9538
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Selected boot did not athenticate

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun May 06, 2018 7:05 pm

sunrat wrote:
silverpuma wrote:AHH all sorted. Went into bios enabled legacy and now booting from hd all seems fine. Sorry for the stupidity.....
Sounds like it was being blocked by Secure Boot.
Secure boot is a feature of UEFI. Maybe if you had disabled Secure Boot you may have been able to install in UEFI mode.

I guess legacy boot automatically disables Secure Boot?
legacy boot doesn't use UEFI at all.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Re: Selected boot did not athenticate

#6 Post by sunrat » Sun May 06, 2018 7:21 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:legacy boot doesn't use UEFI at all.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say legacy boot doesn't use UEFI mode at all? It's still UEFI that's starting up the computer but running in legacy mode.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9538
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Selected boot did not athenticate

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 pm

sunrat wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:legacy boot doesn't use UEFI at all.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say legacy boot doesn't use UEFI mode at all? It's still UEFI that's starting up the computer but running in legacy mode.
fair enough
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Post Reply

Return to “Installation”