-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED - Several minor issues ??? after moving to MX 17.1

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Several minor issues ??? after moving to MX 17.1

#11 Post by fehlix » Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am

Kulmbacher wrote: Time zone: posix/Europe/Berlin (CEST, +0200)
Your timzone display a nowadays unusal use of posix-timezone settings.
As posix-timezone variant is not need within debian anymore.
Please show the conent ot TZ-environement

Code: Select all

echo $TZ
As TZ-environment variayble was used to set posix-timezone

Regarding the warning message:
Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
This mode can not be fully supported. It will create various problems
with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.
I do solve this for me in a way that I do set always UTC with BIOS/UEFI.
I.e. BIOS time always UTC never localtime!
And for the rar system where I rarely need to start Windows (for updates only ) I do change within Windows
the timezone to use UK-time / UTC ;=) and do change the clock-display time to show regional German time!
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue May 01, 2018 10:31 am

There has been a whole topic on using local time and why that is beneficial not too long ago. Especially if you do happen to once in a while dual boot with windows.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP Envy5030

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by sunrat » Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm

IMO it's better to set Windows to use UTC especially if you multiboot or mainly use Linux. Linux prefers the hardware clock set to UTC. You can do this with a simple registry edit in Windows - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ti ... in_Windows . Probably need qword rather than dword in Win10.

Yes this subject has been discussed previously and at great length, which is why I kept this brief.

Kulmbacher
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Post by Kulmbacher » Wed May 02, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you guys, no problems with my clock.
They working perfect.

greets, Forum + Linux Novice ;-)

antiX-Dave
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by antiX-Dave » Wed May 02, 2018 6:51 pm

For the vpn, it will be installing a systemd service. As mentioned above, switching to systemd boot would allow that to work. Aside from using systemd 3 options come to mind.
1) find an older version of the deb that still used sysv-init and copy the init scripts from the package to your system
2) ask the provider of the deb to do option one for you as an option when installing the deb.
3) make your own basic init script to start the exec file OR add the exec file to /etc/rc.local

linwinux

#16 Post by linwinux » Thu May 03, 2018 2:09 am

Thanks a lot. That's why I had written the other poster to ask about a step by step in order to get expressvpn going. No response though, ah well. If I start telling my wife about systemd (what on earth is that?) and systemd boot (as in booting up your machine ???) she'll think that I'm crazy. Never had this problem with Xubuntu or Mint before, both of which are also XFCE setups and the most current Mint working with expressvpn just fine ... Mint 18.3 and a simple .deb installation. If it was a "no-brainer" function to get expressvpn to work with Mint 18.3 as recently as just a month or so ago, then I really don't understand why it's suddenly a big deal with MX Linux? Sorry, not meaning to be difficult, but this is something for which a how-to would be very useful to have.
Besides, it would more than likely be quite useful for someone else at some point as well. ;)

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Eadwine Rose » Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 am

There is a section in the manual about systemd and why we chose to approach things the sysvinit way. Also when you run a search on the forum you can also find a number of topics about why.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP Envy5030

linwinux

#18 Post by linwinux » Thu May 03, 2018 4:17 am

I don't understand why you responded to this vpn issue, or rather, how your comment is supposed to be helpful in order to find a resolution? It doesn't matter if or why MX uses systemd and that's not what I'm inquiring about. I have no problem finding information about systemd on this forum, or here https://www.infoworld.com/article/28324 ... users.html or this wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd, as well as other Online resources.

Someone who responded to this thread mentioned that they got expressvpn working on MX Linux 17.1 and I'm hopeful that someone can provide a step-by-step to let me know how this was achiieved. My reading up on systemd is of no help whatsoever and understanding why the developers of MX Linux are using systemd doesn't help in this situation either. I need to know what this other person did on their MX 17.1 system in order to get expressvpn working? Doing a synaptic search yielded a couple of informational bits as well, see images below.

Should I perhaps install the highlighted app from the package manager to resolve the vpn issue (see english description on bottom half of image)? Would it be helpful if I installed the app systemd-ui which appears in both screenshots? With the exception of getting our vpn service to work, just about everything else on my personal setup is running smooth as silk. I'd really hate to start mucking up the system now, with trial and error guesses ... thus my request, asking for a step by step relatively easy to follow solution. Thanks for understanding ...
systemd_synaptic.png
systemd_synaptic2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by Eadwine Rose » Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 am

Ok wow.. apparently I replied to the wrong topic. Multiple tab work might have that consequence. No reason or excuse to get snippy.

linwinux

#20 Post by linwinux » Thu May 03, 2018 4:48 am

Sorry, I didn't think that I was being snippy ... just thorough, with a detailed response about the things that I've looked at to try and find a solution.

Return to “Installation”