-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED - Several minor issues ??? after moving to MX 17.1

linwinux

SOLVED - Several minor issues ??? after moving to MX 17.1

#1 Post by linwinux » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi everyone. Everything is almost fine on my new, full-time MX 17.1 setup. Sadly I ran into some minor glitches that don't affect general performance, just some quirkiness that needs to be corrected, with some of the experts here. No hurry, I won't have time to get back until tomorrow morning.

Anyway, the first issue has to do with the Panel time. I'm in Germany. The panel clock is 2 hours behind actual local time even though I selected the German language option during the boot to USB process, right from the beginning. I also checked and re-checked the clock settings and everything is fine there as well ... set to Europe/Berlin ... as it should be. Last but not least, the really weird thing is that Conky, when enabled, actually shows the correct time on the desktop. All of the conky themes show the correct time, just the panel clock is off by 2 hours.

Next issue deals with VPN. If I can't fix this we won't be able to switch to MX full-time. My wife and I have 5 machines at home and we've been members of Express VPN for the past 3 years. So first I make sure that ssh-client and ssh-server are installed, for networking purposes in our house. Internet, WiFi, and Network throughout the house are running just fine. Checked that, moving onto VPN next.The VPN service has a .deb file for Linux users, in order to expedite the installation service of their vpn functions. Clicking on that .deb file returns the message on the screen that the installation can proceed because all of the dependencies have been fullfilled. So I install the .deb file via Gdebi, do not receive any errors, and close the GUI window when it's finished. Then I go about trying to register and start the VPN service (Terminal commands), but receive an error in the terminal, stating:
It seems the expressvpn daemon is not running. Please run "sudo service expressvpn restart" to start it.
If the problem persists, please contact us.
I obviously try to run that command, which then returns with the message:
expressvpn: unrecognized service
Of course I can contact them (tomorrow), but I was hoping that soemone here would just recognize what's going on, followed by being able to help me out. Living without VPN is not optional for us. We value our privacy which is one of the main reasons why we switched to Linux in the first place, and why we stay away from Chrome/Chromium, Google, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc. Whoops, sorry, going off-track a bit ...

Last but not least, installing the drivers for our Epson printers. Again, .deb files to make the installation on Linux boxes easier. I actually got the printer working but wanted to question some of what was going on. For one, lsub wasn't already installed into the system by default and I had to install that manually. EDIT: SORRY MY BAD, I MEANT ... LSB. No biggie. It's just that we have two printers which require that, so I was a bit surprised the lsb wasn't already boxed with the MX installation .iso to begin with? Might not be a bad idea to include that in the future, especially if there are other printer companies which may require that ... Brother, perhaps? Then, when I was absolutely certain that everything was installed and should have been working properly, the printer still wouldn't respond. Tried re-installing, re-booting, etc. Finally I checked the actual printer settings, only to find that none of the 3 checkmarks for making the printer active, were checked. (Printer Active, Printer accepts print jobs, Printer ready for use) or something similar to that (it's in German). So I checked them, waited a minute, and then printed out a test page without a problem. Is this behavior (installed printer that's not activated by/for the system) by design? I haven't had this problem with any other distro that I used during the past several years ... which is why I'm asking that question.

Aww, gee, gotta go, running late, wife is hollering ... ;)
Thanks for the help.
Last edited by linwinux on Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Several minor issues ??? after moving to MX 17.1

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:13 pm

About the time.. are you perchance dual booting still with windows? Just something to rule out.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by fehlix » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm

linwinux wrote:The panel clock is 2 hours behind actual local time
Mind you posting the output of this command from within the terminal

Code: Select all

LANG=C timedatectl
Not sure about this one:
linwinux wrote: .. lsub wasn't already installed ...I had to install that manually.
Please let us know how you actualy installed this 'lsub' exactly and where you got it from.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Richard

#4 Post by Richard » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 pm

I think you might mean, lsusb.
I can't find lsub anywhere.
MX171: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.18.0-2-amd64, 119GB SSD
MX171: EeePC 1005HA: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-686, 150GB HDD
Thunar/Doublecmd, LibO613, Dropbox, Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

linwinux

#5 Post by linwinux » Tue May 01, 2018 1:55 am

For the time, entered the command and received back:
$ LANG=C timedatectl
Local time: Tue 2018-05-01 07:48:13 CEST
Universal time: Tue 2018-05-01 05:48:13 UTC
RTC time: Tue 2018-05-01 07:48:12
Time zone: Europe/Berlin (CEST, +0200)
Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
RTC in local TZ: yes

Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
This mode can not be fully supported. It will create various problems
with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.
For the printer ... no, the file to always have on-hand is: lsb (see pic below, it's german, but the command is there)

About the dual-boot: Yes, I have a dual-boot system, but only get into Windows about twice per year for our TomTo GPS updates. It's literally the only thing that I use Windows for and I haven't even logged in to try it since installing MX on this system.
Epson_WF2630_Must_Install_lsb_first.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linwinux

#6 Post by linwinux » Tue May 01, 2018 1:59 am

Noticed another small issue when saving files, retrieving data from within an app window, etc.
Some of the views are completely alphabetical, meaning that my viewable sub-folders are jumbled
in with the file content. Instead of having the folders viewable at the top by default, with the
fies listed alphabetically below them, the folders are alphabetically mixed in with the folders.
Any idea what causes this and where I can change this behavior? It's not the Thunar view ...

Kulmbacher
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by Kulmbacher » Tue May 01, 2018 2:34 am

just a small difference "posix" (don't know what it mean) in my german time. Maybe Kulmbach difference ;-)

conky and systemwatch show same time here.

# LANG=C timedatectl
Local time: Tue 2018-05-01 08:28:30 CEST
Universal time: Tue 2018-05-01 06:28:30 UTC
RTC time: Tue 2018-05-01 08:28:31
Time zone: posix/Europe/Berlin (CEST, +0200)
Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
RTC in local TZ: yes

Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
This mode can not be fully supported. It will create various problems
with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by m_pav » Tue May 01, 2018 5:00 am

linwinux wrote:where I can change this behavior? It's not the Thunar view ...
Right click the white space in Thunar ......
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

teddylegs
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by teddylegs » Tue May 01, 2018 5:12 am

Hi linwinux :-)

I've literally come over to MX Linux today, and have just succeeded in activating and running Expressvpn. I'd installed the deb file, which went through fine, but then I had the same messages as you did. Just fixed it, after seeing another post here saying that the advanced boot option runs systemd. Did that, opened terminal, and did the usual 'activate' and 'connect'. All good! :-)
Lenovo x310, i7-4790, 16ram, Radeon R9 255
MX-Linux 17.1 x64

linwinux

SOLVED - Re: Several minor issues ??? after moving to MX 17.1

#10 Post by linwinux » Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 am

Time issues & Alphabetical listings for Folder/File selection ... SOLVED The only time that I was able to replicate this, was when I had to select a location from within the printer setup. So that's completely irrelevant to any real work that would actually be done within applications or Thunar, for File or Folder selection purposes. IMO, it's not actually an issue at all, just one of these tiny flukes that comes along now and again. Regarding the time issues, yeah, I got that screen too, the one about the time settings possibly having problems with seasonal time changes, etc. However, and I found this to be really interesting, that particular time issue must be related directly to one particular app within MX Linux/XFCE only. If you look at the three screenshots below, you'll see what I mean. Look at each of them very carefully though ...
Apparently, there are no less than *THREE* time applications available, which can be added with the + symbol for the panel.
1. Date & Time
2. Default Time with Orage
3. What time is it?

Only the default Time with Orage showed the incorrect time. I swapped that one out for one of the others, and now everything is fine. The screenshots show exactly what I'm talking about. ;)
Pic 1 = All 3 time settings. Pic 2 = Replacement of one with another. Pic 3 = Now showing the correct time.
panel_clocks_x3.jpg
panel_clocks_x3b.jpg
panel_clocks_x3c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Installation”