-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Problems with Grub bootloading after installing MX Linux

Sacolevas
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Problems with Grub bootloading after installing MX Linux

#1 Post by Sacolevas » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:33 am

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right title for my problem, but this is what is happening.

I installed MX Linux 17 alongside Windows and I am experiencing these problems:

1) After I followed the steps in the Live USB install, I restarted the computer and it shows a terminal screen instead of a login page.

It says "GRUB4DOS ..." and shows a field to type after >grub

I pressed tab to see the options (I tried "boot" for example) and nothing works.

How do I solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

PS: I am not an expert linux user.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Problems with Grub bootloading after installing MX Linux

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:25 am

Have you installed grub4dos in the past. Because our installer does not install nor setup grub4dos.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Sacolevas
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by Sacolevas » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 am

Hello,

Given that Windows is still my main OS, I installed the grub bootloader in /root partition following the MX Linux installer instructions. In this way once i start the computer I see the Windows boot menu.

Then I use EasyBCD to add the Linux OS. So far a fee months ago i have success with Linux Mint following the same procedure. In the EasyBCD menu when i add, when it is asked the I type the location i choose the option "Automatically locate and load".

I followed the same procedure this time, after installing MX Linux on top of Linux Mint. Of course i deleted the "Linux Mint" option in the EasyBCD menu and added the new one. Previously i had Kubuntu in the same computer in thevsame partitions (then LM and now MX)

What can i do? What makes MX Different than Kubuntu and Linux Mint in this procedure?

Thanks in advance

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:43 am

I don't know. you could try posting the grub4dos configuration you are using. there are users on this forum that do use grub4dos, so perhaps they can help.

I know that when I install grub to root partitions other times, its often easier to set the "main" bootloader being used (in your case grub4dos) to chainload to the grub installed on the linux root partition.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

miken
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by miken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:09 pm

I encountered the same situation with EasyBCD and MX 17.1 with the Grub being installed to the root partition.

The solution I stumbled across was to add a Linux/BCD entry in EasyBCD as follows:
- select "GRUB (Legacy)" in the Type dropdown
- select the partition where the MX 17.1 root was installed in the Drive dropdown
- leave the "Use EasyBCD's copy of GRUB" unchecked
The next time you boot, select this new entry. This worked in my situation, hopefully it will for you too.

FYI - I did not encounter this situation with MX 16.1. The MX 16.1 GRUB was also installed to its root partition, but the Linux/BCD entry in EasyBCD was setup using "GRUB 2" as the Type and "Automatically locate and load" as the drive. Everything worked as expected.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by asqwerth » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Were the installs of MX16.1 and 17.1 on the same computer?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

miken
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by miken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Yes, but not at the same time. I started with Windows and MX16.1 several months ago. Yesterday I installed MX17.1 into the same partitions, reformatting them as part of the installation. That's when I encounted the situation with EasyBCD. I booted using the MX17.1 Live USB and saw the two partitions were populated with MX17.1 files. I then reinstalled MX16.1, and was able to boot into MX16.1 using EasyBCD. I decided to install MX17.1 again, and again I was unable to boot MX17.1 using EasyBCD. That's when I started playing with EasyBCD and stubbled across using "GRUB (Legacy)" and not "GRUB 2".

Return to “Installation”