-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Unable to perform distribution upgrade to MX17

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Unable to perform distribution upgrade to MX17

#31 Post by Stevo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:01 pm

Some public networks block whatever ports checkaptgpg uses--I can't use it at my local library, for example, or ntp time servers, either. I don't know if that's the case for you, penguin.

penguin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#32 Post by penguin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 am

Team.
I wanted to try something in aim to learn a lesson. Everything goes fine.In my case I have no ati or nvidia drivers.
Every one that read this topic can learn from my experience. I understand that is not in your hand to chose this way of upgrade (reinstall of MX 17 for MX 15+X users),but alternative that I tried, also that is considered non "secure", deserves a try and needs to be polished to repair mistakes or non functional things.

Also I have found that XFCE ( shutdown and restart process - ask for password). Yesterday I have searched a lot on the NET, to resolve this issue,but I did not resolved.Needs to try another little trick - sudo chmod u+s /sbin/halt and sudo chmod u+s /sbin/reboot and Modify /etc/sudoers with visudo.I have tried only to modify /etc/sudoers with visudo, that suppose to be only half of solution.

The only thing that I want to resolve is missing of toolbar icons on Synaptic.That is not a big issue because I think that can be resolved easily,(or maybe reinstall it).

When I am trying to install a new package , Synaptic said that want to remove,reinstall or install some packages, that is logic, but I ca noot understand why Synaptic want to remove some of my individual packages( as clementine,converseen etc.)

During sudo apt-get dist-upgrade I used switch -d ( sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -d ) as someone suggested in this forum .

Code: Select all

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-upgrade-debian-8-jessie-to-debian-9-stretch/
to avoid mess if network goes done.
Grant Johnson says:
June 16, 2017 at 1:54 pm
I would highly recommend doing “apt-get dist-upgrade -d” before doing any actual upgrades. Having all of the packages downloaded before beginning helps avoid troubles in case of network issues.
Thanks for your help.

Richard

#33 Post by Richard » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Irrelevant to the thread.
Last edited by Richard on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX17.1: Lenovo T430-2017, 8 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119 GB SSD
MX17.1: AA1(ZG5) / EeePC-1005HA, 1 GB RAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae ____ 150 GB HDD
DC9, LibO610, Dropbox, FF, FFesr, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. Linux Counter #288562

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#34 Post by skidoo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi, penguin. Synaptic is good at resolving interdependencies during day-to-day operations
but is not geared toward finding solutions in the scenario where packages from multiple (versioned) repositories are involved.

sudo apt-get install aptitude
man aptitude

By using the aptitude utility (with skill, after studying its manpage and other docs), you choose among various solutions that aptitude proposes for "making all the pieces fit".
cannot understand why Synaptic want to remove some of my individual packages( as clementine,converseen etc.)
The aptitude utility can help you to understand "why" ~~ enables you to peer into the details of why A+B+C+D+e+f.9 ~= EVERYTHINGHAPPY

Instead of immediately wading through manpages, you can learn about aptitude by watching video(s)

Barbucha
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#35 Post by Barbucha » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:13 pm

If you are meant to reinstall anyway, you can as well make an experiment and try to modify the repos according to this: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/repos-mx-17 and see what happens if you try to upgrade. If it doesn't work, you do the reinstall. I have managed to modify Debian to Devuan by changing repos. There were some troubles, it required several passes of apt-get update and upgrade and removing some packages, but at the end it worked. There's nothing to lose, so for the sake of experiment I'll try it the day I will want to upgrade.

Return to “Installation”