-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Grub not starting

WoodLark
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Grub not starting

#1 Post by WoodLark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:53 pm

I am attempting to install MX 16.1 on a Dell Precision 690 with 12GB RAM and four 1TB drives configured as two 1TB RAID 0 drives. This system previously held Linux Mint. I have deleted and recreated all partitions. After my first install attempt, I also deleted the MBR on all drives using dd then recreated the partitions again.

The computer boots perfectly from the distribution USB drive and assigns it to /dev/sda. I want to install MX to /dev/sdb with mount points as follows: /dev/sdb1=/, /dev/sdb2=swap, /dev/sdb3=/home.

The intallation software runs fine, and I tell it to install GRUB to the MBR of /dev/sdb. When I attempt to reboot with the distribution USB removed, the computer finishes its POST then just sits there with a flashing cursor.

I have repeated the install several times, including one where I installed GRUB to the /root partition. The result has been the same each time.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Grub not starting

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 pm

My first thought. is the drive set to be bootable in your bios?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by asinoro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 am

WoodLark wrote:I am attempting to install MX 16.1 on a Dell Precision 690 with 12GB RAM and four 1TB drives configured as two 1TB RAID 0 drives. This system previously held Linux Mint. I have deleted and recreated all partitions. After my first install attempt, I also deleted the MBR on all drives using dd then recreated the partitions again.

The computer boots perfectly from the distribution USB drive and assigns it to /dev/sda. I want to install MX to /dev/sdb with mount points as follows: /dev/sdb1=/, /dev/sdb2=swap, /dev/sdb3=/home.

The intallation software runs fine, and I tell it to install GRUB to the MBR of /dev/sdb. When I attempt to reboot with the distribution USB removed, the computer finishes its POST then just sits there with a flashing cursor.

I have repeated the install several times, including one where I installed GRUB to the /root partition. The result has been the same each time.
See this topic and if you can not find solution send a private pm to the user, to ask how he did it.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=42502
If your case is solved edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.
Don’t forget to Backup your system
Fix your Grub

WoodLark
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by WoodLark » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 am

I believe his problem was different. He was using software raid, and his disks were showing up as two separate disks, not the raid array. Mine is hardware raid, and the array is recognized as a single disk.

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by asinoro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:20 am

I was never busy with Raid it's a very big trouble, take a look to these.
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic ... 36#p242836
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup
If your case is solved edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.
Fix your Grub

WoodLark
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by WoodLark » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:26 am

I have not previously had any problem with RAID. I have another Precision 690 set up the same way that is happily running Manjaro linux, and the one I am having issues with ran Mint for over two years. I simply wanted to try something different (MX). Maybe I should have stuck with what I had.

Based on your suggestion, I will try disabling the RAID and see what happens. I'll let you know.

WoodLark
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by WoodLark » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm

I disabled RAID and tried again. No luck.

WoodLark
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by WoodLark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 am

Interestingly enough, I had the same problem installing MX on a laptop (which has only one hard drive and no RAID). The solution in both cases was to use GParted, delete all existing partitions and create a NEW partition table (not just new partitions on the old table).

MX is now up and running on both systems.

Actually, I spoke to soon. The laptop booted once from the hard drive and won't do it again. I have tried several linux distros with the same result. I finally loaded puppy linux onto a a bootable usb stick and will just use the hard drive for storing data.

The desktop does work though.
Last edited by WoodLark on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by asinoro » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Put the solved at the initial title to be visible.
Fix your Grub

br1anstorm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by br1anstorm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Have just been browsing after posting about my own difficulties with MX-16 installation and GRUB. I don't have Raid or anything - but it looks as if WoodLark has come across similar problems with (a) where to install GRUB, and (b) getting it actually to boot up the system.

Is there a wider or more fundamental problem about MX-16 (or its GRUB) not working on anything other than a standard install, on its own, on a hard drive?

Return to “Installation”