Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX-16 32 bit live usb works excellent, but system freezes while loading from hdd

.-083
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MX-16 live usb works excellent, but system freezes while loading from hdd

#21 Postby .-083 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 am

Both kernels from 32 bit version stop at exactly the same point... Installing February snapshot made no difference

However, the problem is exclusive to the 32 bit version (which is weird, I always install 32 bit versions of the distributions I test without problems, and even this one works fine as long as I run it from a usb drive). 64 bit one works great when installed to the hdd (thanks kmathern) and I'm using it as my primary os now

I'll keep the 32 bit non-working hdd install in case someone has any idea on how to solve the problem

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-16 32 bit live usb works excellent, but system freezes while loading from hdd

#22 Postby aus9 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:28 am

@ asinoro

I have 64 bit but does 32 bit really have that config line from your post
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=41768#p408683

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="zswap.zpool=zsmalloc BOOT_IMAGE=/antiX/vmlinuz quiet splash"

at first glance it looks like the antiX group have a non-Debian dir.....and that directory is at the base of the grub partition by looks.
good Luck from MX-16 user

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-16 32 bit live usb works excellent, but system freezes while loading from hdd

#23 Postby aus9 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:40 am

if you have time, try this as well....but first reason. Today on 64 bit I saw libvte was updated. and than got me to thinking about the graphical boot of your grub.
---its dangerous of me to think...Drs allow it once a year .;)

anyhow try this if you like....it will first give you a text only (non-graphical) grub boot up

change leafpad to whatever your fav text editor is

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/default/grub

delete the hash at this grub terminal line so it reads

GRUB_TERMINAL=console

save the file .....you can save with keyboard shortcuts of Ctrl and s

at terminal issue updating command

sudo update-grub

full reboot and see if any diff to that drive.

2) bonus

if for some reason you are stuck at a grub prompt and as we both use /dev/sda1 as linux partition try this to boot....if you have to
---it is always good to know you can do it and keep notes for that time you can't get onto internet to find out how to use a rescue cd.

set root=(hd0,1)
linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
initrd /initrd.img
boot

when you have typed vmlinuz immediately press the TAB key. If you have no symbolic links it will display various kernels
when you type initd....press the TAB key and it will show a range of initrds if you have more than one
---if you have only one of each it will autocomplete to the full name so you don't need to remember it
good Luck from MX-16 user

.-083
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#24 Postby .-083 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 am

aus9 wrote:-083

if you have time, try this as well....but first reason. Today on 64 bit I saw libvte was updated. and than got me to thinking about the graphical boot of your grub.
---its dangerous of me to think...Drs allow it once a year .;)

anyhow try this if you like....it will first give you a text only (non-graphical) grub boot up

change leafpad to whatever your fav text editor is

sudo leafpad /etc/default/grub

delete the hash at this grub terminal line so it reads

GRUB_TERMINAL=console

save the file .....you can save with keyboard shortcuts of Ctrl and s

at terminal issue updating command

sudo update-grub

full reboot and see if any diff to that drive.

2) bonus

if for some reason you are stuck at a grub prompt and as we both use /dev/sda1 as linux partition try this to boot....if you have to
---it is always good to know you can do it and keep notes for that time you can't get onto internet to find out how to use a rescue cd.

set root=(hd0,1)
linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
initrd /initrd.img
boot

when you have typed vmlinuz immediately press the TAB key. If you have no symbolic links it will display various kernels
when you type initd....press the TAB key and it will show a range of initrds if you have more than one
---if you have only one of each it will autocomplete to the full name so you don't need to remember it

Thank you very much for your suggestion :)
I switched to a Thinkpad x220 and forgot about the problem, lol

But I'm sure your post can be helpful to other people looking for a solution if they encounter the same problems I did :)

Return to “Installation”