-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Use Different File Systems for / and home

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Use Different File Systems for / and home

#1 Post by JimC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm

I just finished installing MX 17.1 on an underpowered Dell Netbook (works great BTW), and was unable to determine how to use different file system types for root and home.

For example, using Gparted, I created a root partition using BTRFS, and a Home partition using XFS. This is the layout being used by OpenSUSE by default.

But, when I used the MX Installer and selected "custom install on existing partitions", it had a check box preference for file system type, without allowing me to select different file systems for those two partitions. If I select BTRFS, then both root and home and formatted as BTRFS, even though I had created the home partition using XFS using GPARTED.

I haven't tried it yet. BUt, what If I tell the installer to preserve home? Would that prevent the installer from using BTRFS for home (leaving it as XFS as created by Gparted), while still formatting root as BTFS?

Suggestions?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Use Different File Systems for / and home

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Didn't the installer ask you if you wanted to format /home? Just say no if you've already formated it.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by JimC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm

The Installer does have an availalble check box option for "preserve data in home"

It was just a bit confusing, since most of the options were about home, yet the file system type selection did not allow you do choose between root and home.

In case others want to do the same thing (install MX Linux using different file system types for root and home), it may be best if there were two file system type selections:

1. File System Type for root partition
2. File System Type for home partition

In the interim, I'll see if the "preserve data in home" option lets me use a different file system (even though there is no data in it) with a re-install, as long as I format it as desired in advance using gparted.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by fehlix » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm
... I'll see if the "preserve data in home" option lets me use a different file system (even though there is no data in it) with a re-install, as long as I format it as desired in advance using gparted.
Yes, D_O is correct. Just preformat with gparted and choose "preserve data in home", i.e. home will not be reformated.
Just done it, see gparted screen-shot after reboot:
mx-btrfs-xfs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by JimC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks Guys. I'll reinstall that way ("preserve data in home" checked), after making home XFS

Of course, I may regret this setup (root as BTRFS, home as XFS). But, OpenSUSE is using that as default with their installer now.

Note that I did setup a netbook as btrfs only some time back (with the same partition used for both root and home), with MX-14. Here's an old post from 2014 about it:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... mC#p334741

It worked fine for many months before the netbook was stolen (we had let a niece use it for classes). IOW, BTRFS was very reliable, with zero hickups, space problems from snapshots or other.

But, I haven't tried XFS for home before. I'm thinking that system problems in root from updates, user error, etc., will be easier to fix by reverting to a previous snapshot if root is btrfs. Time will tell.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Nice to see you, Jim
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by JimC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks Jerry. It's been a while since I've participated here. I've just had too much going on, including my share of health problems, with multiple vertebrae fractures, pelvis fracture and more (keeping me immobile for a while). Loads of Fun! Those are pretty much healed now, and Physical Therapy is working with me to get my strength back in legs, etc.

I'm in the hospital now for that matter, but I should be fixed up and out of here by early next week (fingers crossed) due to an abdominal surgery needed. When it rains, it pours!

However, I've been keeping an eye on MX Linux for a while now, and have been impressed by the progress you guys have made with it. You can't help but love how some reviewers feel about it either. For example, the last reviews Dedomi from like this one:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-17-lenovo.html

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Adrian » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:03 pm

JimC, hope everything works fine and you get out soon fixed and in better shape.
You are right that the installer has a feature missing here, it's possible to do install home on different file system as Dolphin mentioned but that's an ugly way to go about it, we should be able to fix it though pretty easily.

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by JimC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks Adrian.

Yea, it was a bit confusing to me, since it appears that each partition should have its own options for things like file system type. Again, OpenSUSE is using a config with a btrfs root partition, and an xfs home partition by default with its installer, and I want to use that same setup type with MX.

I've been keeping an eye on MX Linux for a while now, I and have been impressed by the progress you guys have made with it. So, you should all be proud of what has been accomplished, and the work by a lot of you has got to be appreciated by users. The docs and videos (for example, the great content from Dolphin_Oracle) are nice, too. MX Linux is just so easy to use and update, it is amazing.

A lot of things like the monthly snapshots, community respins and more also lend to its appeal (not to mention the ability to run on very modest hardware), with a very friendly community of members participating in the forums, always ready to lend a hand.

So, please keep up the good work.

I had bought a couple of cheap (under $100 each) Dell Inspiron 11 (3162) netbooks almost two years ago with a coupon code for more off during a Dell Outlet sale. I buy most computers from Dell Outlet in refurbished condition, since you can find some great deals that way if you're a good shopper. They both appeared to be new when I got them (and I've had the same experience with all of the refurbished computers I've bought directly from Dell Outlet over the years.

One of them was $95.30, and the other one was $83.40, both purchased in October 2016, both sitting on a shelf unused. They are a bit under powered, with Intel N3050 CPUs in both. There is 2GB DDR3 and a 500GB drive in one; with 4GB DDR3 and a 32GB eMMC drive in the other one.

I had planned to give one of them to my wife to replace a tablet she uses, and its screen recently cracked so now is a good time. I've thought about using the one with 4GB of RAM attached to a den TV (using an HDMI Port since the netbook and tv both have hdmi), with external storage via USB, perhaps letting it serve multiple duties including media player, file server, and more, using a wireless keyboard from my recliner.

I already have a Logiiech K400 designed for that purpose. This one (although i haven't tried it with MX 17.1 yer):

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... oard-k400r

Again, I've just never taken the time to mess with them until now, and MX 17.1 appears to be a good fit for them. So far, so good. Everything works without issues, although I need to tweak some settings for the touchpad when using an external mouse, to keep them from conflicting with each tther, disabling the touchpad when typing, etc.) I'll do that this evening. Heck, I may just disable the darn touchpad entirely, since I prefer an external mouse anyway, and the touchpad just gets in the way, even after setting things like a delay before it works when typing with the keyboard

Here's the config for the one I installed MX-17.1 to (as originally installed, with both home and root setup as btrfs)

System: Host: mx Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14, 2018
Machine: Type: Portable System: Dell product: Inspiron 11-3162 v: 2.4.0
serial: <root required>
Mobo: Dell model: 0YHK7J v: A00 serial: <root required> UEFI: Dell v: 2.4.0
date: 01/31/2018
Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 32.0 Wh condition: 32.0/32.0 Wh (100%)
CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N3050 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 1024 KiB
Speed: 1070 MHz min/max: 480/2160 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1070 2: 1558
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics
driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: fbdev,modesetting unloaded: vesa
resolution: 1366x768~76Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio: Card-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High
Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-1-amd64
Network: Card-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 2c:6e:85:bd:f4:2a
Drives: HDD Total Size: 465.76 GiB used: 5.27 GiB (1.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABF050 size: 465.76 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15.62 GiB used: 4.47 GiB (28.6%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda6
ID-2: /home size: 19.53 GiB used: 257.6 MiB (1.3%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda8
ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00 GiB used: 539.5 MiB (13.2%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: 39.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos: Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
1: deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/stretch stretch main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list
1: deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
Info: Processes: 218 Uptime: 4h 40m Memory: 1.85 GiB used: 1.52 GiB (82.1%) Shell: init
inxi: 3.0.10

Return to “Installation”