"stable" Chrome may segfault i386 Debian stable - e.g. MX14

Stevo
Developer

Re: "stable" Chrome may segfault i386 Debian stable - e.g. M

#41 Post by Stevo »

The widevine library could be compiled against Wheezy libraries as to be compatible, but I bet they hired some "Ubuntu=Linux" guy to actually do the Linux builds--maybe he could not get Debian Wheezy to install on his hot new machine--so uses Ubuntu or Jessie to compile "Debian" versions. Widevine is closed-source, so we can't fix the issue ourselves.

richb
Administrator

#42 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote:The widevine library could be compiled against Wheezy libraries as to be compatible, but I bet they hired some "Ubuntu=Linux" guy to actually do the Linux builds--maybe he could not get Debian Wheezy to install on his hot new machine--so uses Ubuntu or Jessie to compile "Debian" versions. Widevine is closed-source, so we can't fix the issue ourselves.
Probably true, as Netflix will run in Kubuntu. Nontheless the Netflix Desktop solution in MX-14 gives the necessary functionality so it is not a big issue.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#43 Post by Stevo »

Yes, but Wheezy seems to be be losing out on other Google programs (Google Earth 7) and many Steam Games. It may be possible to redo what SteamOS has done with their version of Wheezy and backport libc6 2.17-94 to it without breaking anything.

Return to “Older Versions”