Netflix-desktop does not install/work on fresh MX-14 install

BitJam
Developer

Netflix-desktop does not install/work on fresh MX-14 install

#1 Post by BitJam »

This is a fresh install of MX-14.2-pae on an Acer Aspire ES1-511-C59V laptop. I've tried it with and without a system upgrade; the symptoms are the same.

I install Netflix-desktop via the MX-package installer and this seems to work correctly. I see no error messages and when it is done it asks if I want to exit the package installer, which I do. The first time I run netflix-desktop, it tries to install Mono (which seems to work) but then hangs indefinitely with a progress bar that says "Performing local installation...".

I'm stuck at that point until I log out of xfce and log in again. If I close the progress window and start netflix-desktop before I log out then I just get the same progress window. After I log out and log back in, running netflix-desktop opens a browser window at the netflix site. I can log into netflix but when I try to watch something it asks me to download Silverlight.exe, which I do but I am still stuck at that screen.

Doing "rm -rf ~/.wine-browser" does not help.

I need to use the "nomodeset" boot parameter to get it to boot past udev. It is using the vesa graphics driver with the fbdev and intel drivers unloaded. The graphics hardware is an Intel ValleyView Gen7. Some experiments are hampered because I lose all the virtual consoles on the installed system. I don't know why. They work fine on the Live system. I ran into this same problem on the Live system (with persistent home). In fact, that is why I did the install. I thought maybe something about the Live system was causing this problem.

Stevo
Developer

Re: Netflix-desktop does not install/work on fresh MX-14 ins

#2 Post by Stevo »

What happens if you cancel the Mono install? It was my impression it just goes ahead without Mono, which isn't required for most applications anyway.

I just checked, and Netflix still is working with the latest Wine 1.7.28 in the test repo.

BitJam
Developer

#3 Post by BitJam »

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion.

I created a new user account and ran netflix-desktop. I said "cancel" when it asked if I wanted to install mono and I am stuck at the same "Performing local installation..." window.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

That "performing local installation" window can last a LOOONNNGGGG time. How long have you let it sit? Still working for me as well.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Does the same thing happen if you just try and install wine first?

Code: Select all

su -c 'apt-get install -t mepis wine'
And then run winecfg in the terminal so we see if any errors show up in the mono install process.

We could have a workaround for it if we added wine-mono packages to the CR--we haven't in the past because the online install has been working well enough.

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

Hi D.O.!

I've waited at least 15 minutes. Should I give it a couple of hours? While it is waiting there is almost no cpu or disk or internet activity.

@Stevo, I don't know how to "install wine first" without reinstalling MX-14. IOW, I don't know how to uninstall what got installed via the MX-package-manager when I told it to install netflix-desktop.

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

Hang on, and I'll make and post a wine-mono package to see if that fixes it.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

@ BitJam - no , it shouldn't take that long. 5 minutes or so on my netbook is about the longest its gone.

you didn't start it as root did you?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Here's the download link for the deb:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1UMhs ... sp=sharing

It's the same size--50 MB--that you have to download for Wine's mono download. Maybe it's running very slow today.

BitJam
Developer

#10 Post by BitJam »

@stevo, the download was fast. I installed it with "sudo dpkg -i" but it did not change anything. Running netflix-desktop takes me to the netflix site in a browser but when I try to watch a video, I can't get past the page that asks me to download Silverlight.exe.

I don't mind reinstalling MX-14. Do you have any specific instructions? I am not fluent in Debian package management.

Return to “Older Versions”