Netflix-desktop does not install/work on fresh MX-14 install

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Netflix-desktop does not install/work on fresh MX-14 ins

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle »

BitJam wrote:@stevo, the download was fast. I installed it with "sudo dpkg -i" but it did not change anything. Running netflix-desktop takes me to the netflix site in a browser but when I try to watch a video, I can't get past the page that asks me to download Silverlight.exe.

I don't mind reinstalling MX-14. Do you have any specific instructions? I am not fluent in Debian package management.

I just tried in a VM and I'm getting the same issues at BitJam. Will try on actual hardware later.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

Yes, I'm a bit mystified. I would have to think that something changed on Netflix's end, since the same programs were working before. Netflix-desktop is supposed to run the Silverlight 5.1 installer immediately during installation--I saw it do so today when I renamed the ~/.wine-browser folder--so I don't think that MS has messed up up the downloads for Silverlight.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

Do you have the test CR enabled? We do have a newer netflix-desktop in there 0.8.8 that may work better with the latest wines.

Currently, I have wine 1.7.28 and netflix-desktop 0.8.8 installed. If I uninstall wine-silverlight5.1-installer, netflix-desktop also gets removed, but then when I reinstall netflix-desktop, the silverlight installer runs again and redownloads, then reinstalls Silverlight.

Edit: I don't mean the mx or xfce test repo, instead I mean the MEPIS 12 test CR. I'm trying 14.2 in a VM, and I see it's disabled by default. So far, I've installed the newer netflix-desktop 0.8.8, run winecfg in a terminal, started the mono download and watched the blue completion bar start creeping across, canceled it, and had wineconfig come up. So far, so good...

Oops, ran into the problem that extended attributes aren't supported on the Live ISO file system, so that's as far as I get without an install. But I can't reproduce the Mono issue.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#14 Post by dolphin_oracle »

The mepiscr test version of the netflix-desktop appears to have the same problem that the one in the mx test repo has. I think the wine-silverlight5.1-installer routine is failing and silverlight is not being installed. I don't think the problem is in the wine setup, I think its in the silverlight download.

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

The mepiscr test version of the netflix-desktop appears to have the same problem that the one in the mx test repo has.
We just have one version in the main MEPIS CR and one in the MEPIS test. There is precious little in the mx-test repo, actually.

I'll keep trying to duplicate the issue. I'll do an install in a VM, do the updates from the regular repos, and see what happens.

You are installing with ext4, right? If it's ext3, you need to explicitly enable extended attributes in /etc/fstab for Silverlight DRM to work.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I'm using ext4 and version 0.8.8 of netflix-desktop. There are no files in ~/.wine-browser/drive_c/Program Files/Silverlight and the Microsoft Silverlight folder doesn't get created at all. Both of these are present on my antiX and MX machines.

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

OK, I just did an VM install of 14.2 PAE, did full updates without enabling the test repos, then ran

su -c 'apt-get install netflix-desktop'

in a terminal, and everything worked. The Silverlight5.1-installer.exe file from MS downloaded automatically, I hit cancel for the Mono download for wine, it said performing 'local installation" for about 15 seconds (which may be for the windows Firefox and Silverlight install) and then the Netflix page came up in the windows Firefox...so I can't reproduce the problem.

Are you installing in Synaptic or the command-line? I just purged and reinstalled using Synaptic, and it still worked. You get the Firefox and Silverlight Zenity progress bars when netflix-desktop is setup, then the wine-mono dialog box when netflix-desktop and wine is run for the first time.

So, you are not even getting those two download dialogs when netflix-desktop is installed? Or removed and installed?

BitJam
Developer

#18 Post by BitJam »

I had been installing via the mx-package-installer.

I just tried purging netflix-desktop and wine-browser-installer. Then (as root) I did "apt-get install netflix-desktop". It did not talk about installing mono. I too was able to get to the netflix site but when I try to actually watch a video, I still get stuck at the page telling me to install Silverlight.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#19 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:OK, I just did an VM install of 14.2 PAE, did full updates without enabling the test repos, then ran

su -c 'apt-get install netflix-desktop'

in a terminal, and everything worked. The Silverlight5.1-installer.exe file from MS downloaded automatically, I hit cancel for the Mono download for wine, it said performing 'local installation" for about 15 seconds (which may be for the windows Firefox and Silverlight install) and then the Netflix page came up in the windows Firefox...so I can't reproduce the problem.

Are you installing in Synaptic or the command-line? I just purged and reinstalled using Synaptic, and it still worked. You get the Firefox and Silverlight Zenity progress bars when netflix-desktop is setup, then the wine-mono dialog box when netflix-desktop and wine is run for the first time.

So, you are not even getting those two download dialogs when netflix-desktop is installed? Or removed and installed?
In my VM, I get the mono dialog, then a "Local Installation" box, which lasts forever but eventually goes away (like, 30 minutes). But the silverlight plugin is not installed and going to the netflix site is similar to BitJam's experience, eventually playing a movie results in the "you need to install silverlight" screen. I've now tried on 3 different VM's. I was going to try on real hardware today but there is something wrong with my installer disk so I need to remake it.

BitJam
Developer

#20 Post by BitJam »

I just tried installing netflix-desktop via the command line in VirtualBox on a Live system with home persistence. I was able to get past the "local installation" progress bar and get to the netflix site. Unfortunately, the browser consistently crashed when I tried to watch a video. Still, I think this is progress.

I will try to do a fresh MX install on the laptop and see if I can get it to work there.

Return to “Older Versions”