Want to be the Translation Manager?

Jerry3904
Administrator

Want to be the Translation Manager?

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

[This is part of my general call for development help.]

The job of Translation Manager (TM) calls for no special computer skills, but relies on abilities that many of you already have, I am sure. This manager needs to be well-organized, self-motivated, responsible, and good on following through and following up. He or she would work with members of the Translation Team, in one direction, and with people like anticapitalista and Adrian in the other.

An example may help make clear what is involved:
  • Adrian recently released updated versions of MX packages that include some new and some altered "strings" of instructions and information.
  • Adrian would notify the TM that those new strings needed to be translated
  • TM would upload them to Transifex (not sure if you can see that page until you register).
  • Then TM would notify the Translation Team that there is translation work needed
  • Progress needs to be monitored and encouraged
Time required: a couple of hours a week on average.

I am sure I have left something out or got something wrong, but anticapitalista can add and correct as necessary.

Have any interest?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

Re: Want to be the Translation Manager?

#2 Post by Adrian »

Just some comments, it won't even be couple of hours a week, we don't update language in the MX utilities that frequent. Also, this is fairly a non technical task, it just requires only knowing how to upload and download some files, if you need to use some specific tools you'll get the detailed commands so you can copy and paste them.

I want to concentrate on programming issues and how the applications work, uploading and downloading translations files doesn't interest me too much, but it's obviously an important task and if you care if the program is correctly translated in your language we'd greatly appreciate if you volunteer to do this job.

Old Giza

#3 Post by Old Giza »

Assuming you have someone for this by now. If not, just give me a shout.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

We don't actually, and could use your help. I have a nice small project (revised MX Switch User) for you to start with, too!

Look for some PMs in the next couple of days.

Thanks a lot.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Thanks for the offer! "mx-user" app has also some strings that needs to be translated.
https://github.com/AdrianTM/mx-user

Again, wait for PM with the instructions, we don't have all the details just yet.

Return to “Older Versions”