"Mepis Magic in a Lightweight Xfce Distro!" Review of MX-14

Coastie

"Mepis Magic in a Lightweight Xfce Distro!" Review of MX-14

#1 Post by Coastie »

The review of MX-14 by Sidekick has moved to his new Linux only blog, "Confessions of a Technophobe."

The url at http://www.mepiscommunity.org/reviews is no longer good. The review is now at http://technophobeconfessions.wordpress ... ce-distro/.
Last edited by Coastie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-6700
HDD: 1 TB
RAM: 12 GB
Graphics: Integrated Radeon HD Graphics

Left Mac OS X for Linux in January 2014

jdmeaux1952

Re: "Mepis Magic in a Lightweight Xfce Distro!" Review of MX

#2 Post by jdmeaux1952 »

It was a decent review. Accurate and fair. That's what counts.

JD :popcorn:
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

The Boy Wonder

#3 Post by The Boy Wonder »

Thanks for the feedback! I don't really "review distros," since I really don't know how, and I've read so many bad ones that don't tell what I would want to know anyway. But I do love to share when I find something wonderful, and I just write about what's cool and why I like it (or dislike it). My latest post to that blog describes my more recent issues with my old favorite distro and my reasons for returning to MX-14 with my tail between my legs. :footinmouth:

I think that blog is probably going to be pretty boring from now on, since MX is such a trouble-free distro on this old relic hardware.

lucky9

#4 Post by lucky9 »

Always good to hear positives clearly stated. MX14.2 is really more than reliable. It's extensible, the default interface is extremely usable, it comes with the mepiscommunity.org.

If you want usable, stable, customizable, and the best support around the choices are antiX, MX, and Mepis. And Mepis won't be around eventually. antiX and MX seem to have a bright future (the devs are many so it's broadly based).

Note: FanBoyism is acknowledged. I've crossed over.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Coastie

#5 Post by Coastie »

Good news: "If you want usable, stable, customizable, and the best support around the choices are antiX, MX, and Mepis.... antiX and MX seem to have a bright future (the devs are many so it's broadly based)."

Bad news: "Mepis won't be around eventually." (And I guess old news.)
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-6700
HDD: 1 TB
RAM: 12 GB
Graphics: Integrated Radeon HD Graphics

Left Mac OS X for Linux in January 2014

uncle mark

#6 Post by uncle mark »

Coastie wrote:Bad news: "Mepis won't be around eventually." (And I guess old news.)
Warren gave us a lot of good years. No one is as disappointed about MEPIS' demise as I am, but I can't complain. MEPIS enabled me to get comfortable with Linux to the point that I was able to eschew Windows completely. It also gave me the chance to learn Linux well enough in general terms to be able to transition to an alternative when the time comes. If I ever make it to Austin, dinner is on me.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

lucky9

#7 Post by lucky9 »

He and this forum made my transition to Linux-only a much easier time than it would have been if I'd used almost any other distro. I'm sure there are thousands more that can say the same. Quite a testament to his skills.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Farcry

#8 Post by Farcry »

@uncle mark and @lucky9:
Absolutely the same for me - Mepis was the first Linux distro which helped me to finally lay Windows aside at home. But I must also give credit to Knoppix for stimulating an initial interest in Linux, as its live CD was gobsmacking!
:eek:

namida12

#9 Post by namida12 »

Mepis 6.5 was the only Distro that loaded nicely, and the forums helped me fix the intermittent sound issue, that was the only Linux problem I every really experienced as a new Linux user with Mepis.

In 2007 I could not keep MS Vista loaded without crashing every 2 weeks in a new AMD quad core Desktop build. I downloaded three distros, of the three I tried, Mepis worked well identifying my hardware, and after the sound issue was diagnosed became my operating system.

MX-14 has been a wonderful replacement of WinXP for friends, several low income retired neighbors, and a few paying clients. Several of these clients have expensive peripherals they will be unable to replace that will not run on Win8, or the older Win7, hence a WinXP & MX-14.2 dual boot system. with cloned backup drives to save the day if WinXP ever crashes, or stops running.

Losing Mepis will be a sad day, but AntiX has always been an option, now MX-14.2 is certainly a life saver for a few more users here in Las Vegas...

JR

Return to “Older Versions”