Beware Skype 4.3 -- PulseAudio only

dyfi

Re: Beware Skype 4.3 -- PulseAudio only

#11 Post by dyfi »

Skype alternative - there are versions for mac, microsoft and linux.

https://jitsi.org/

GuiGuy

#12 Post by GuiGuy »

dyfi wrote:Skype alternative - there are versions for mac, microsoft and linux.

There is NO alternative if you want to continue contacting all your non-geek friends and relations (and don't want to give your existing Skype credit to Microsoft).

newkansan

#13 Post by newkansan »

kmathern wrote:
newkansan wrote:Just a heads up to those who may not know. Skypes latest release (4.3) no longer supports Alsa, so MX and other debian distros won't work with it. You either need to upgrade to PulseAudio, or find an old version of skype (I found a download link to the Ubuntu 4.2 .deb which worked in MX-14).
I thought they had stopped supporting pre 4.3 versions of Skype.
I don't know, I just know it worked for me. I wonder if when I installed 4.3, then uninstalled it, it left behind some bits that let 4.2 work.
Acer Aspire 7736Z-4088
Pentium T4400 2.2Ghz, Intel GMA 4500M
4GB RAM, 500GB WDC_WD5000LPLX
MX-15 64-bit

uncle mark

#14 Post by uncle mark »

GuiGuy wrote:
dyfi wrote:Skype alternative - there are versions for mac, microsoft and linux.

There is NO alternative if you want to continue contacting all your non-geek friends and relations (and don't want to give your existing Skype credit to Microsoft).
That is exactly the type of submission MSFT is counting on.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

GuiGuy

#15 Post by GuiGuy »

uncle mark wrote:That is exactly the type of submission MSFT is counting on.
True UM, but I have installed Jitsi and it appears to be working - the trouble is I have no contacts (not even a test call) so what can I do with it?
As you have often pointed out, non-geeks will not listen to any recommendation for software which is outside their Microsoft/Apple/Android walled garden.
I do find Skype very useful and I have some unused Skype credit. What would you do?

joany

#16 Post by joany »

GuiGuy wrote:
uncle mark wrote:That is exactly the type of submission MSFT is counting on.
True UM, but I have installed Jitsi and it appears to be working - the trouble is I have no contacts (not even a test call) so what can I do with it?
As you have often pointed out, non-geeks will not listen to any recommendation for software which is outside their Microsoft/Apple/Android walled garden.
I do find Skype very useful and I have some unused Skype credit. What would you do?
A bit off-topic, but I think you will inevitably run into problems when you use one type of device to do the job of a different type of device, e.g. using a telephone as a computer or computer as a telephone. :wink:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

namida12

#17 Post by namida12 »

I have been using Google Video Chat to talk to relatives in japan twice a week for over 18 months on the desktop. We talk for hours, at a time. Most of all it will work in many WiFi locations with the chromebook, however some locations have slow internet. But if you subscribe to the successful Microsoft marketing plan :"Google Is Bad", I guess this would not be a useful alternative.

Have never used skype. I understood it was problematic for Linux since Microsoft purchased skype and played with the code.

Also what are the reported problems with pulse audio, it seems to work well in Mx-14 and provides a more volume than Alsa in all systems i have installed MX-14 as a replacement for WinXP.

JR

Siles

#18 Post by Siles »

I had a problem with the Skype upgrade (?) and the webcam built in mic not working. Found the solution here <http://askubuntu.com/questions/222765/u ... ot-working>.
Everything now works as it should.

Siles
Siles
Registered Mepis User 505527
Dell Precision M6400
16GB memory
MX16.1
Dell Inspiration 1720
4GB memory
MX16.1

GuiGuy

#19 Post by GuiGuy »

Jerry3904 wrote:I should add that the mic does not work--never did, there are lots of hits on a web search.
Finally got my AspireOne to work with the new Skype.
New install of MX-1.4.2 , full update, added codecs/firefox/thunderbird, installed pulseaudio/pavucontrol, downloaded and installed the new Skype.
When I logged into the new Skype it seemed to work except for capturing the internal mic, but after a while and some fiddling with the options
the mic started working.
I wonder if the Skype server was peeking around my machine for some time before it found the mic.

BTW the new Skype works fine on my wife's eeepc901 with Zorin.

Return to “Older Versions”