A Message of sincere thanks

LinuxHelpGuy

A Message of sincere thanks

#1 Post by LinuxHelpGuy »

Hi All

Just wanted to drop by and offer my sincere thanks to all who contribute to mx14 its fast becoming my fave distro, so much so I am doing a full series on it on my youtube channel from a noob perspective, I hope it offers some insights for you all and I know you will all chuckle your hearts out as I fall through it with style, well fall through it any how. If I can be of help in any tiny way to the community id be very happy indeed.

Once again my sincere thanks.

LinuxHelpGuy

Youtube Channel :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZJGcg ... uVscQ25Sxg

uncle mark

Re: A Message of sincere thanks

#2 Post by uncle mark »

LinuxHelpGuy wrote:Just wanted to drop by and offer my sincere thanks to all who contribute to mx14 its fast becoming my fave distro, so much so I am doing a full series on it on my youtube channel from a noob perspective, I hope it offers some insights for you all and I know you will all chuckle your hearts out as I fall through it with style, well fall through it any how. If I can be of help in any tiny way to the community id be very happy indeed.
Note that there have been two point releases since the original. MX-14.2 is now the current version. (It appeared your earlier excellent review was based on MX-14 or perhaps MX-14.1.)
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Sounds great! We look forward to your series!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

Thanks a lot! I really enjoyed your review, it's nice to see somebody who gets it. We are always looking forward to constructive suggestions. Let us know if you have any questions.

lucky9

#5 Post by lucky9 »

Or suggestions. I don't think we have the 'not thought of here' syndrome. And thanks for the review. Always good to see good things about any release.

I'm a User, so have little to do except use the OS. So having a 'turnkey' OS OOTB is a big deal for me. I'm still experimenting with MX14 with KDE. It has surprised me on how it fairs on my almost ten year old Desktop. The default MX14 works wonderfully on a single-core Atom Netbook (as does antiX 13.2). MX14 has taken over the Netbook as it's primary OS for now. I use a 3G Modem which the software does a wonderful job of initializing and enables an easy (easiest I've found anyway) getting online experience.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany

#6 Post by joany »

@LinuxHelpGuy,

Thanks for posting your excellent MX-14 review. You covered quite a bit in a fairly short video, but there are some additional gems that weren't mentioned. You may want to review these and include them in a future video.

In the MX Package Installer (which used to be called metapackage-installer), there is a category called WindowManger. If you want to change desktop environments, this is the place to go. I used it to install KDE 4.8.4 on my MX-14 installation. I'm using KDE right now and and lovin' it.

There are some other goodies that I'm pretty sure are unique to MX-14:

Grub Customizer (makes it easy to modify GRUB2 through a GUI)
Snapshot (makes a bootable .iso image of your entire installed system)
Disk Manager (dynamically mounts partitions and makes changes to /etc/fstab automatically so you don't have to)

Be sure to check these out.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

anticapitalista
Developer

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

I'm also looking forward to watching your latest full set of videos from a noob's perspective and I'm sure that it will help us (the dev team plus friends) improve on MX in the future.

I also agree with what Adrian posted above. It was so refreshing to watch a video review from someone who gets what we are about. Kudos!

You mention the great videos by 'run_with_the_dolphin' that add a huge plus to MX-14 and I totally agree with you and would like to thank him (dolphin_oracle) for his great work. Take a bow d_o!
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

***blush***

Thanks. Its nice to see the channel mentioned!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

joany wrote:@LinuxHelpGuy,

Thanks for posting your excellent MX-14 review. You covered quite a bit in a fairly short video, but there are some additional gems that weren't mentioned. You may want to review these and include them in a future video.

In the MX Package Installer (which used to be called metapackage-installer), there is a category called WindowManger. If you want to change desktop environments, this is the place to go. I used it to install KDE 4.8.4 on my MX-14 installation. I'm using KDE right now and and lovin' it.

There are some other goodies that I'm pretty sure are unique to MX-14:

Grub Customizer (makes it easy to modify GRUB2 through a GUI)
Snapshot (makes a bootable .iso image of your entire installed system)
Disk Manager (dynamically mounts partitions and makes changes to /etc/fstab automatically so you don't have to)

Be sure to check these out.
The newer 14.2 MX release has a few utilities made specially for MX (or adapted from antix) like mx-bootrepair, mx-switchuser. Also MX package installer, which replaces the metapackage installer in MX 14.

Not sure about snapshot, but grub customiser is from a made-for-ubuntu ppa, and Solydxk has it as well, though I can't recall if it's in their default install images. I agree it is pretty unusual for these two debian distros to have it.

Disk manager is from the standard debian repositories I think, but not many distros have it in their default install images. I didn't know of its existence until I saw it in MX. Very useful if you have separate data partitions.

LinuxHelpGuy

#10 Post by LinuxHelpGuy »

Hi All

Many thanks for your kind posts I have indeed noted all the points you have made and my series will use 14.2 and cover everything from install to more advanced topics, please forgive my initial videos as I am trying to cover it all from a brand new user perspective, so please have a giggle at stuff you take for granted that other users just scratch their head about. I will do my best to make this series a real help to your community while trying not to replicate the great work done by dolphin, as his videos are first class.

Dolphin where possible may I have your permission to point users to your video's please as there is just no point in duplicating stuff, and this will really help me move the series on quicker than i could otherwise do.

Finally please keep this thread alive and feel free to post any things you want covered and also please post criticism of anything I get wrong so I can correct any mistakes in future videos.

Finally once again many sincere thanks to all who have made this distro I hope I can encourage others to at least try the o/s and in some small way help your community.

Sincerely

Linux Help Guy.

Return to “Older Versions”