MX 14.2 problem with Synaptic

BitJam
Developer

Re: MX 14.2 problem with Synaptic

#11 Post by BitJam »

kmathern wrote:Repeating what Jerry asked, did you confirm the md5sum of the download?
This is very easy to do on a Live system by selecting the "F4 Options" --> "check md5" option in the bootloader.

edit: I just tried the Synaptic upgrades in VirtualBox. I had the same 5 packages marked for upgrade and the upgrades went through without a hitch.

NGIB

#12 Post by NGIB »

I downloaded this morning from the torrent provided on the project page. I'm downloading again from the sourceforge page.

I will look at the checksum when I boot it again. I have done nothing that any average user wouldn't try to do. I've made hundreds of bootable USB sticks with no problems but I'll do it again before I quit this effort.
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

anticapitalista
Developer

#13 Post by anticapitalista »

NGIB wrote:I downloaded this morning from the torrent provided on the project page. I'm downloading again from the sourceforge page.

I will look at the checksum when I boot it again. I have done nothing that any average user wouldn't try to do. I've made hundreds of bootable USB sticks with no problems but I'll do it again before I quit this effort.
That doesn't answer the question. Just because the average user doesn't check the md5sum, doesn't mean we all should.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

uncle mark

#14 Post by uncle mark »

NGIB wrote:I downloaded this morning from the torrent provided on the project page. I'm downloading again from the sourceforge page.

It happens. I had a bad "burn" on a USB recently. Download was good, but I decided the stick was flaky after the installer crapped out 75% through, twice in a row. Recreated the stick and all was well.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Malanrich

Re: MX 14.2 problem with remastercc and hard drive install

#15 Post by Malanrich »

NGIB wrote:I have no idea why a user would want to remastercc the install media without upgrading - to me it's the logical first step as you want an updated installable system.
On the contrary, users without high-speed internet (there still are quite a few of them) don't always have the means of system-updating. They rely on remastering for making a few key changes to the default OS.

lucky9

#16 Post by lucky9 »

If the .iso was downloaded by torrent (and completed) then the file is correct. So it may be a bad burn. The MD5sum cannot be wrong on a torrent. Part of the bittorrent protocol is checking sections as they are downloaded. The file has to be right if the torrent was complete.

Many times I've gotten an .iso almost finished and lost he connection. Things are better nowadays. But when that would happen I'd put the file in the torrent client's download file. Fire up the torrent client and let it check the file. It always completed the file that was interrupted during a regular download.

Something else going on. I had a USB FlashDrive that went 'flakey' on me once. I wrote zero to it and it was fine.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Older Versions”