Iceweasel - Live USB - MX14.1.1 - High CPU Usage

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Iceweasel - Live USB - MX14.1.1 - High CPU Usage

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

It's a shame QupZilla has some stability issues.
I think its time will come--I have it as the default for my systems.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

kmathern
Developer

#12 Post by kmathern »

chrispop99 wrote:With a Pentium 3 laptop running MX-14.2 installed, and four tabs open on Iceweasel each with static content, CPU is around 20%. Changing one of the open tabs to YouTube puts the CPU on 100% all the time even with no video running.

Figures for Firefox are virtually identical. ...
Does the CPU usage go down if you install a flash blocking addon to FF/Iceweasel? (such as http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... shstopper/)

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#13 Post by chrispop99 »

kmathern wrote:
chrispop99 wrote:With a Pentium 3 laptop running MX-14.2 installed, and four tabs open on Iceweasel each with static content, CPU is around 20%. Changing one of the open tabs to YouTube puts the CPU on 100% all the time even with no video running.

Figures for Firefox are virtually identical. ...
Does the CPU usage go down if you install a flash blocking addon to FF/Iceweasel? (such as http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... shstopper/)
<Installed Flashblock to test>

Yes, significantly on YouTube. Of course, attempting to play a video puts it up to 100%, and the results are not really watchable.

On a slightly more powerful box with an Athlon XP 3000, CPU with four tabs open including YouTube (no video) the CPU load is about 8%; with a video playing it's around 80%.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP's setup; modern browsers and content do hammer the system somewhat.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

anticapitalista
Developer

#14 Post by anticapitalista »

For watching youtube video, using minitube (or whatever) is a must on old PIII boxes.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#15 Post by chrispop99 »

anticapitalista wrote:For watching youtube video, using minitube (or whatever) is a must on old PIII boxes.
I'm glad I only keep these old boxes for testing!

Snag with Minitube is the inability to play Vevo content on the version that ships with non-PAE.

SMPlayer YouTube Browser (on non-PAE) will play Vevo and other content if you select VLC as the player; bizarrely, I've never been able to make it play with SMPlayer.

It's just about bearable in Qup if you have nothing else open though.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

Seamonkey is based on Firefox code, but lighter on system resources. It may be able to handle Flash a bit better. It would be informative to see what "top" says is eating all the CPU cycles.

Though it probably uses more RAM, XBMC can also install a Youtube browser and player that will play the Youtube mp4 files, skipping the CPU-hogging Flash versions. I'm not sure if it will download video or play Vevo videos, but there are also quite a few more XBMC plugins for other video sites.

Edit: The Youtube addon does play and download Vevo content in XBMC :happy:

cuscotravelservices

#17 Post by cuscotravelservices »

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I can't remember what pages I had open now.

Can I install the NoScript Add-On whilst using a Live USB without persistence?

If not I'll have to get the USB Flash drive configured in Persistence mode and get back to you all.

Thanks, Michael.

BitJam
Developer

#18 Post by BitJam »

cuscotravelservices wrote:Can I install the NoScript Add-On whilst using a Live USB without persistence?
You can but it won't survive a reboot. Since NoScript is something installed by the user (I think) then you should be able to keep it around if you enable home persistence. You can do this with the MX-14 LiveUSB by going to the RemasterCC and using the "enable persistence" program to make a homefs file. it is MUCH easier in MX-14.2. Just select "Home Persistence" from the LiveUSB boot menu and you will be guided through the steps. It even works on the LiveCD but you have to select which device to save the persistence files on.

Return to “Older Versions”