It boots but X won't start.

bmike1

It boots but X won't start.

#1 Post by bmike1 »

I am running mx 14 on an old sony vaio (2001ish). The computer will boot but when I get to the point where X starts I get nothing.... it was working yesterday. I have it set to boot as vga=791 or 792 and acpi=off

--edit--

To save people from having to read the thread:

... Basically I learned that there was an upgrade to the open source drivers and that this broke my nvidia driver which necessitated that I boot into run level 3 and run nvidia_install again. To boot into run level 3 add '3' into the boot options. To get to boot options press 'e' at the boot screen. The boot option are on the line that starts 'linux'
Last edited by bmike1 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

Re: It boots but won't start.

#2 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Will it boot in init 3 boot and using startx?

kmathern
Developer

#3 Post by kmathern »

bmike1 wrote:I am running mx 14 on an old sony vaio (2001ish). The computer will boot but when I get to the point where X starts I get nothing.... it was working yesterday. I have it set to boot as vga=791 or 792 and acpi=off
Have you had any recent updates or new package installs that might be causing the problem?

Have you checked the /var/log/Xorg.0.log? (you might need to do that while in a LiveCD/LiveDVD/LiveUSB session)

bmike1

#4 Post by bmike1 »

I'm trying to scp the log file to a working computer and when I try to push it from the computer in question from a tty <cntrl-alt-f1> I get a 'connection timed out' and when I try to pull it to the working computer it won't accept my password.

bmike1

#5 Post by bmike1 »

I just looked at the log file and towards the end it says that it found screens but that there wasn't a usable configuration.

lucky9

#6 Post by lucky9 »

I had some Wheezy xserver/xorg updates recently. That will throw things off if a proprietary video driver had been installed.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

bmike1

#7 Post by bmike1 »

well.... I did run the nvidia_install script. what should I do to fix this?

kmathern
Developer

#8 Post by kmathern »

It would help to see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and maybe also the log that the nvidia-install script creates (/var/log/mx-nvidia-install_<datecode>.log).

I'm not familiar with scp. Is it possible to run a live session (CD,DVD,USB,etc.), mount the partition that the MX14 install is on, and post the log files (or a link to wherever you might have uploaded them to)?

You could also try running the nvidia-install script again in initlevel 3. (then be sure to do a shutdown & reboot before trying it again)

bmike1

#9 Post by bmike1 »

I just booted into mx14 live and it just occured to me.... could I transfer the xserver/xorg files from the live sesion to the installed version?

bmike1

#10 Post by bmike1 »

You could also try running the nvidia-install script again in initlevel 3. (then be sure to do a shutdown & reboot before trying it again)

Sorry I didn't see this suggestion. I tried this but I have a question how do I get to initlevel 3? I tried it hitting <cntrl-alt-F1> but running nvidia_install didn't do anything.
Last edited by bmike1 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Older Versions”