It boots but X won't start.

kmathern
Developer

Re: It boots but won't start.

#11 Post by kmathern »

bmike1 wrote:You could also try running the nvidia-install script again in initlevel 3. (then be sure to do a shutdown & reboot before trying it again)

Sorry I didn't see this suggestion. I'll try this but I have a question before I do it..... how do I get to initlevel 3? Is that just <cntrl-alt-Fx>?
What I would probably do is add a "3" to the kernel options line in the grub screen menu, it'll boot to initlevel3 and present you with a login prompt. After logging in as root you can run nvidia-install.

<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1> after it fails to start X might also work. Do you get a login prompt when you do that? If you do, login as root, run `service lightdm stop` -- to kill lightdm, then run the `nvidia-install` command. When it's done shutdown, power back up after 30-60 seconds and try booting up again.

lucky9

#12 Post by lucky9 »

It's not unusual to have to run sgfxi twice (if that was what you tried first).

I keep an nvidia driver on hand just in case. Easy enough to boot a LiveDisk and Copy it to /home. Boot to init 3 and install it.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Developer

#13 Post by kmathern »

I'm assuming bmike1 ran my nvidia-install script (/usr/local/bin/nvidia-install -- aka Nvidia_Install in the Whiskermenu). Back when I was creating/developing the script (and actively testing it), running the install a single time was sufficient. If the nouveau driver was being used at the time you ran the install you did need to shutdown briefly before restarting (h2 recommends doing the same with sgfxi).

Joany used Nvidia_Install to install the nvidia driver on her MX14 install, I think she then had some problems when she tried switching to another install method (sgfxi and/or the installer directly downloaded from Nvidia ), so I think it might be best for bmike1 to stick with the nvidia-install script if at all possible.

bmike1

#14 Post by bmike1 »

running nvidia_install from run level 3 did it! I restarted the computer and it went throug the boot screen, then all the text ran by and x started and I sat there for a couple of miutes until I realized that this is what was broken.
Thank you so much for your help. Now I need to write this into my 'computer instructions' file so I will always have it.

Return to “Older Versions”