Changing what happens when you press the power button.

bmike1

Changing what happens when you press the power button.

#1 Post by bmike1 »

the change is bad. I press the power button and it no longer just asks if I want to shutdown but 'do you want to switch users?' then I need to confirm I want to shutdown 2 more times. it might be bearable if the defaults were to shutdown (so I could just hit the enter key) but the default is to switch user. I would think it would be understandable that if the power button is pressed it means you want to shutdown.
Last edited by bmike1 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: just changed shutdown process

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

I'm not sure I understand. You have a running system and you are logged in, and you press the power button on the computer? If that is correct, you should see the same logout dialog that you see when you use the logout button just above the menu icon.

When did this "change" show up? Did you alter something, or install something?

I have never seen the behavior you describe, but suggest you check the Power Manager--icon at bottom of notification area just above the logout button. Right-click that icon > Preferences, click General in the left pane, and check that the value selected in the pull-down menu is what you want (Shutdown, I guess).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

bmike1

#3 Post by bmike1 »

Yes... the power button on the computer.
When did the change sow up? I'm not sure. I haven't cycled my computer in a while now but I just did today. I press the power button and the log out/shutdown window appears and...... OH! Logout is default now! It never was before. I wonder why?

joany

#4 Post by joany »

I've never seen either of the behaviors you're describing on any of the computers I've owned and used -- desktops or laptops. Pressing the power button doesn't do anything for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds the power supply just turns off, which is definitely not a good way to shut down any operating system. Why are you using the power button on the computer instead of shutting down the OS from the desktop?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

BitJam
Developer

#5 Post by BitJam »

@joany, this feature has been available for many years. First is was via APM and now it is via ACPI. For example take a look at the /etc/acpi/ directory. On MX-14.1.1 there is a script there called pwerbtn-acpi-support.sh. I wonder if this script is what is causing bmike1's problem.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the setting for the power button is in the preferences for the xfce4-power-manager icon in the system tray. My MX install seems to follow the choices there. The default is to "ASK" which gives the logout menu. You can set it to "ask, shutdown, suspend, or nothing".
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Developer

#7 Post by kmathern »

joany wrote:I've never seen either of the behaviors you're describing on any of the computers I've owned and used -- desktops or laptops. Pressing the power button doesn't do anything for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds the power supply just turns off, which is definitely not a good way to shut down any operating system. Why are you using the power button on the computer instead of shutting down the OS from the desktop?
Pushing the power button on my system will cause it to power down (shutdown).

But it's not a uncontrolled shutdown where it just suddenly kills power, what I see scroll by onscreen looks pretty much like what you would see if you had executed the `halt` or `shutdown -h now' command.

lucky9

#8 Post by lucky9 »

I'm with joany. I prefer having the OS do the shutdown. I'll hit the PowerButton only with a (booted) LiveDisk, during POST, or a MemTest. At least that's all I can remember. I've locked things up enough that it makes me cringe to actually touch the PowerButton. Ctrl+Alt+SysRq reisub (busier spelled backwards) takes care of those times nowadays.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

(I guess it never occurred to me to use the actual Power Button on the Tower. So I acquired a habit.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark

#9 Post by uncle mark »

joany wrote:Pressing the power button doesn't do anything for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds the power supply just turns off, which is definitely not a good way to shut down any operating system.
While not my normal practice, hitting the power button on my laptop running SolydK does bring up the standard KDE logoff menu. I don't thing I've ever tried it on my M11 desktop or my MX-14 netbook.

Now holding the power button down will (obviously) shut it down.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#10 Post by Eadwine Rose »

dolphin_oracle wrote:the setting for the power button is in the preferences for the xfce4-power-manager icon in the system tray. My MX install seems to follow the choices there. The default is to "ASK" which gives the logout menu. You can set it to "ask, shutdown, suspend, or nothing".
Yup, that is what I checked as well right after the install.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “Older Versions”