Snapshot fail

NGIB

Snapshot fail

#1 Post by NGIB »

This issue is based on a 14.1 install on my Core I-3 Toshiba laptop that is as plain vanilla as you can get. No proprietary drivers. The installed system was the original 14.1 that I had DL'd before it was removed. System was running great - no problems at all.

So I make a snapshot of the system and all went as expected. I saved the ISO on the Windows side of my drive as I always do. Just now, I booted into Windows and "burned" this ISO to a freshly formatted 4GB USB stick that has had no issues. I used Rufus to make the USB stick as I always do.

The process went normally. I booted from this stick and the Grub screen came up and I hit enter to boot the live system. It said "scanning for..." and then displayed a fatal error "block device not found P to poweroff, r to reboot". I tried it again and this time selected command line install - the same result.

I've probably made over 2 dozen snapshots on my various computers and I've never had a problem so I know this process well. I used this same USB stick for a Mint image and it worked perfectly. Anyway, I have the ISO if anyone wants to look at the problem...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

BitJam
Developer

Re: Snapshot fail

#2 Post by BitJam »

You have hit one of the bugs that caused us to stop distributing MX-14.1. :frown: This issue is fixed in MX-14.1.1. If you replace the /antiX/initrd.gz file on your Snapshot LiveUSB with the /antiX/initrd.gz file from MX-14.1.1 then that should fix the problem you are having.

Alternatively you can try adding the boot code:

Code: Select all

load=all
which might also fix the problem.

NGIB

#3 Post by NGIB »

Second attempt. Used Mint stick formatter and image writer to put this ISO on a different 4GB USB stick. Same result as above so it's not a problem with my USB stick or how it was created...

NGIB

#4 Post by NGIB »

BitJam wrote:You have hit one of the bugs that caused us to stop distributing MX-14.1. :frown: This issue is fixed in MX-14.1.1. If you replace the /antiX/initrd.gz file on your Snapshot LiveUSB with the /antiX/initrd.gz file from MX-14.1.1 then that should fix the problem you are having.

Alternatively you can try adding the boot code:

Code: Select all

load=all
which might also fix the problem.
Thanks for the explanation, I shall attempt this fix...

NGIB

#5 Post by NGIB »

Swapped the file on the USB and it booted and installed fine. Do I need to make any changes to the installed system?

anticapitalista
Developer

#6 Post by anticapitalista »

NGIB wrote:Swapped the file on the USB and it booted and installed fine. Do I need to make any changes to the installed system?
We fixed this in MX-14.1.1 so it would be better to install that and dump the 14.1 version.
Sorry about that, but it it the easiest way to go since 14.1 will not be supported.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

anticapitalista
Developer

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

I installed latest MX-14.1.1 to hard drive, installed a couple of apps and made a snapshot that booted ok in VB.
I proceeded to install to VB hardrive using the gui installer and checked the Remaster box and rebooted into a snapshot install on my custom MX-14.1.1
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

Very cool. I've got to try that.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

BitJam
Developer

#9 Post by BitJam »

anticapitalista wrote:
NGIB wrote:Swapped the file on the USB and it booted and installed fine. Do I need to make any changes to the installed system?
We fixed this in MX-14.1.1 so it would be better to install that and dump the 14.1 version.
Sorry about that, but it it the easiest way to go since 14.1 will not be supported.
antiC, NGIB swapped in the initrd.gz from MX-14.1.1 which fixed the boot problem. Is there any other reason he should use MX-14.1 instead of MX-14.1.1? IOW were there other important changes besides the initrd bug fixes in MX-14.1.1?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

The 3 new MX apps can be installed manually if NGIB wants them: MX Boot Repair, MX Package Installer, and MX Switch User.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Older Versions”