64-bit rules?

Adrian
Developer

Re: 64-bit rules?

#21 Post by Adrian »

Some of the things are trickier to set up, but that should be users' choice.
I don't remember having problems with Skype on 64 bit Linux and Neflix is available now in Google Chrome.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#22 Post by Jerry3904 »

Are you interested in gathering together a sort of "Club 64" to look into developing a test run of a 64-bit MX 14.2?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

namida12

#23 Post by namida12 »

Jerry3904 wrote:Are you interested in gathering together a sort of "Club 64" to look into developing a test run of a 64-bit MX 14.2?
Jerry,

I can test but not extensively as I have slowed down, all of my systems are 64 bit capable.

I have always run the 64 bit version of Mepis, and yes I agree the program selection has improved since 2007, but the last few years I do not tinker much & simply became a on-line user.

My Acer chromebook almost became the default system but the 11 inch screen is hard on my eyes now (use a 23 inch external monitor for my primary for Google video chats), but it is easy to use computer and does almost everything I need. That said using the quad desktops there is a perceptible difference surfing the web with a dozen tabs open in a 32 and 64 bit versions of an operating system with 4 gigs of DDR3 memory.

There is nothing that I can time or test, but I certainly get annoyed from the on-line lag coming from one of the 64 bit Mepis systems to a 32 bit Mepis system, when the system are almost side by side.

I use to play with encoding, VM, Usenet, Par, Par2 and Rars and my favorite program gimp. I still use gimp but for sizing and cropping photos, am sorry it does not run in the Chromebook.

If you spend any time behind a keyboard, flicking or paging about on the internet there is a more than a casual difference in performance between 32 and 64 bit systems. I have read all of the arguments over the years about lack of software, no difference in performance, and software must be optimized for 64 bit performance. My internet is quicker than most other users, and maybe that is the lag I can perceive using 32 or 64 bit systems. I am no longer a speedy typist with Dupuytren's contracture damaged hands, but I can still click a mouse and this is where I notice the difference the most...

Not certain about Laptop CPUs: lots of the Desktop SSE3 cpu are 64 bit. and will always run the latest flash or Google Pepper? SSE2 instruction can operate on twice as much data as an MMX instruction, performance might not increase significantly. Two major reasons are: accessing SSE2 data in memory not aligned to a 16-byte boundary can incur significant penalty, and the throughput of SSE2 instructions in older x86 implementations was half that for MMX instructions. Intel addressed the first problem by adding an instruction in SSE3 to reduce the overhead of accessing unaligned data and improving the overall performance of misaligned loads, and the last problem by widening the execution engine in their Core microarchitecture in Core 2 Duo and later products.
Run in terminal: $ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

Internet speeds: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3718632919

JR

uncle mark

#24 Post by uncle mark »

namida12 wrote:Internet speeds: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3718632919
Dayum...
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes