GP Linux forum

NGIB

GP Linux forum

#1 Post by NGIB »

Question, is there a general purpose linux forum that is not tied to a specific distro? I visited linuxquestions and it is seriously slackware based so all the answers were very biased. I'd like a place to discuss using linux in general and not focusing on any specific distro as I use whatever suits me at a particular time. The fact that I have not been a MEPIS user since the dawn of time makes me a tad uncomfortable here.

Maybe I'll set up my own as I have a forum in operation already and it wouldn't take but a few hours to setup...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: GP Linux forum

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I like Linuxquestions.org myself. A lot of what goes on there applies to any system, at least the stuff I'm interested in (networking, samba, new users, etc...).

I like linuxdistrocommunity as well, but the posting there as been a lot less since linuxlite moved their forum to their own domain. I post on antiX and MX over there when the mood strikes, and I know rokyntji and I (even anti) can be seen over at linuxquestions, particularly when discussions turn to old and legacy gear.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#3 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Maybe

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/

fits your criteria. I don't solve wireless problems there as much as I used to.
But some good eggs there also that are long time members.
It is not as busy as LQ is but not too bad and is easier than setting up your own forum.

NGIB

#4 Post by NGIB »

Setting up a forum is actually pretty easy - finding quality members is the tough part. I'll look over both suggestions - thanks...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

uncle mark

#5 Post by uncle mark »

I don't see why you couldn't post here in the General Topics forum. There's a lot of experience and knowledge here that isn't necessarily restricted to MEPIS/MX/antiX.

I actually prefer nntp newsgroups. They're not for the faint of heart or the thin skinned. However, the techtalk.linux group on the private grc.com news server might be worth looking at (as would be many of the other groups hosted there). Not a lot of traffic, but what there is is high quality.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Return to “Older Versions”