Status

joany

Re: Status

#51 Post by joany »

KBD wrote:We may not be there yet, but I think the time is not far off when someone must close the door on Mepis as an OS if it is dead as it seems.
I'm not convinced MEPIS is dead, even if M12 is. Warren is still maintaining his MEPIS web site -- sort of. At least he posted an announcement in April about the new MX-14 release. Debian scheduled freezing Jessie in November, so maybe he might develop a new Jessie-based version even if he's not going to spend any more time finalizing M12. When he does decide to retire from developing MEPIS, I'm pretty sure he'll make some sort of public statement like Anthony Norquist did when he shut down SalineOS.
KBD wrote:
The thing that is alive and well is this community, one of the best on the net. MX-14 has breathed new life into this group. I'm sad and disappointed that Mepis appears to be in indefinite limbo, and that along with other sinking ships have cured my interest in "one man distros", even though Mepis has a special place in my heart.
I think this community is strong though, and has rallied around MX-14. I hope there can be a rebirth and restart around this new distro along with AntiX which has remained active.
My two cents.
My sentiments exactly! Let's celebrate what we've got, which is a great community and a fine new distro.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

ko

#52 Post by ko »

Mepis may not be dead yet, but in my opinion it would be wise to start thinking about the [future] roadmap of the Forum:
I've been giving that some thought: */you may shoot at it...:-)

Change the name of this Mepis Community Forum to "Symbiosis Community Forum" (or similar).
It will be hosting in subforums the communities of participating distros (all 100% based on Debian).
Currently that's only Mepis, antiX, MX, but more distros may be added.
Each distro comes with one or more Desktop Environments and one or more release versions (stable/testing/sid).

Goals:
- cross-distro development (synergy),
- symbiotic development and releases (like MX-14),
- using common repositories.

Profile the new Forum as homebase for such Debian-based distros and advocate developing for common use.

Long term goal: Synergy in Development toward Symbiotic Releases.
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

DBeckett

#53 Post by DBeckett »

KBD wrote:The thing that is alive and well is this community, one of the best on the net. MX-14 has breathed new life into this group. I'm sad and disappointed that Mepis appears to be in indefinite limbo, and that along with other sinking ships have cured my interest in "one man distros", even though Mepis has a special place in my heart.
I think you summed up my thoughts on the subject very well.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

Adrian
Developer

#54 Post by Adrian »

joany wrote:I'm not convinced MEPIS is dead, even if M12 is. Warren is still maintaining his MEPIS web site -- sort of. At least he posted an announcement in April about the new MX-14 release.
Don't hold your breath though, this is what Warren has on his LinkedIn account: "I founded MEPIS Linux in 2002. Currently i am an occasional advisor to the community of MEPIS Linux developers and users."

Doesn't sound at all like he's the guy working on M12 or M14... Why do you expect more from him than he's hinting/promising? Usually people expect less than what other people promise...

Richard

#55 Post by Richard »

Is this a part of Mepis? http://www.mepis.com/

Warren is mentioned here: http://www.mepis.com/who

Perhaps his focus has changed.
Perhaps he needed to take care of making a living,
more than spending so much time on his hobby.

Perhaps someone could ask?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

ko

#56 Post by ko »

Richard wrote:Is this a part of Mepis? http://www.mepis.com/
Yes.
Warren is mentioned here: http://www.mepis.com/who
Yes.
Perhaps his focus has changed.
Yes.
Perhaps he needed to take care of making a living, more than spending so much time on his hobby.
Yes.
Perhaps someone could ask?
No need, all that is well known here among many users.

Like many here I have lots of respect for Warren, especially for what he has done/achieved with his Mepis releases, but I don't expect him to come up with still another Mepis release.
I like to think of the symbiosis, the collaborative efforts of the antiX/Mepis communities, resulting in the fine MX release, as a fine tribute to the Man.
It's up to the communities to continue building and expanding upon this legacy, or choose another path.
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

uncle mark

#57 Post by uncle mark »

ko wrote:Like many here I have lots of respect for Warren, especially for what he has done/achieved with his Mepis releases, but I don't expect him to come up with still another Mepis release.
I just wish he'd come out and say so, and put some finality to all the speculation.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

ko

#58 Post by ko »

uncle mark wrote:I just wish he'd come out and say so, and put some finality to all the speculation.
So would I, but I doubt we'll see it happen.

joany

#59 Post by joany »

Adrian wrote: Don't hold your breath though, this is what Warren has on his LinkedIn account: "I founded MEPIS Linux in 2002. Currently i am an occasional advisor to the community of MEPIS Linux developers and users."

Doesn't sound at all like he's the guy working on M12 or M14... Why do you expect more from him than he's hinting/promising? Usually people expect less than what other people promise...
I find this kind of odd. Who are the MEPIS Linux developers he's referring to? And I don't recall seeing Warren post anything on a user forum. On a positive note, maybe this means he's grooming MEPIS developers. :shrug:

As far as his current endeavor, he's headquartered in Austin Texas, which is somewhat of a hotbed of patent litigation. I'm not sure whether his firm (MEPIS, LLC) does consulting work for plaintiffs or defendants in patent infringement cases. Maybe both. Warren tweets a lot about patent infringement matters, so his focus has most definitely shifted.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#60 Post by Jerry3904 »

Who are the MEPIS Linux developers he's referring to?
I believe that would be...moi. He is tacitly referring to what he contributed to MX-14 development (answering a few emails, providing some old code).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Older Versions”