Status

NGIB

Re: Status

#31 Post by NGIB »

uncle mark wrote:Much ado about nothing. At least that's how I see it, based on what the MX team had as a goal and what they've achieved.

IIUC, Jerry had a "vision" of a Linux distro that came directly from his desire to better utilize his underpowered but perfectly usable netbook(s). His goal was a stable, fully functional Xfce OS that included LibreOffice, fit on a CD, and was light enough to run on the hardware target he had in mind. He reached out to anticapitalista and got him on board, assembled a group of contributors from both the MEPIS and antiX camps, and rode them like rented mules. :happy: MX-14 is the result.

Did he reach his goal? I would say he has. I will stand corrected, but I don't think he or the rest of the team thought they'd rocket to the top of the DW chart, or expected a deluge of new users, or really gave much thought to any "guilt by association" there might be from being connected, however tangentially, to the MEPIS name.

Branding and marketing and promotion might have their place, if your goals include growth and recognition and popularity. All those things are nice, of course, but I'm not sure that's what Jerry and anti and the rest of the team were after. I'm thinking what they were after was a damn fine operating system that met the design goals and targets that were set at the onset.

I would say they actually exceeded their goals, and thank them for sharing the fruits of their labor with a mere mortal like me.
Wow, I apologize as I had no idea that MX-14 was developed specifically for Jerry and his Netbook. I'll remove it from all of my computers right away. I guess I thought it was a release to the general public because it has a link on Distrowatch, a project page, help forum, good documentation, and even great video tutorials. It seems like a lot of effort went into the marketing of the system from day one but obviously I'm mistaken.

/sarcasm off
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Jerry3904
Administrator

#32 Post by Jerry3904 »

He reached out to anticapitalista
Actually, anti and BitJam reached out to me in a very generous gesture, and that was what made it all possible.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#33 Post by chrispop99 »

NGIB wrote:Wow, I apologize as I had no idea that MX-14 was developed specifically for Jerry and his Netbook.
If you care to search the forum, you will find Jerry's post where he asked if an Xfce version of Mepis was feasible, and the suggestion from anticapitalista that basing it on antiX might be easier.
NGIB wrote:I'll remove it from all of my computers right away.
Unless you dislike it, why would you do that?
NGIB wrote:I guess I thought it was a release to the general public because it has a link on Distrowatch, a project page, help forum, good documentation, and even great video tutorials.
If you cared to research it, you would find that the vast majority of Linux distros are the result of a 'cottage industry' approach. Indeed, many of the Distro Watch 'top 100' are the work of a single person, working in their spare time.
NGIB wrote:It seems like a lot of effort went into the marketing of the system from day one but obviously I'm mistaken. /sarcasm off
'Marketing' implies something which is only available at a financial cost, and clearly cannot be applied to MX-14, or indeed the vast majority of Linus distros.

The reason for promoting MX-14 is just a desire to make known what we feel is a useful OS for many users.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

NGIB

#34 Post by NGIB »

You forgot to quote my: /sarcasm off

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#35 Post by chrispop99 »

NGIB wrote:You forgot to quote my: /sarcasm off
I didn't.

Chris
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Jerry3904
Administrator

#36 Post by Jerry3904 »

NGIB wrote:
Wow, I apologize as I had no idea that MX-14 was developed specifically for Jerry and his Netbook. I'll remove it from all of my computers right away. I guess I thought it was a release to the general public because it has a link on Distrowatch, a project page, help forum, good documentation, and even great video tutorials. It seems like a lot of effort went into the marketing of the system from day one but obviously I'm mistaken.

/sarcasm off
Since I seem to be the target here, I don't understand where all your anger/sarcasm/persecution feeling is coming from, or how it advances the discussion of the important question you raised in OP. I would like to see this thread kept constructive so we can explore some of the tricky issues and options involved.

Factually, it is correct that I started the MX-14 project because M12 did not run well on my netbooks, which got me wondering if we could produce an Xfce that would perform better. That was the original (restricted) scope, but it ended up being something with much broader appeal--and the implications of that result are what needs to be considered as we move forward.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

NGIB

#37 Post by NGIB »

No anger at all. My post was commenting on what Gordon Cooper said: MX-14 was for you and there was no plan or intention to make it a general release so marketing and promotion was not a factor at all. I chose a sarcastic way to show this is not the case.

Moot point really as y'all can do whatever you want and anybody that hasn't been a MEPIS user for 10 years will likely remained confused over what MX-14 is and what it aspires to be. I think I've worn out my welcome here and I'll bid you folks adieu...

anticapitalista
Developer

#38 Post by anticapitalista »

NGIB wrote:No anger at all. My post was commenting on what Gordon Cooper said: MX-14 was for you and there was no plan or intention to make it a general release so marketing and promotion was not a factor at all. I chose a sarcastic way to show this is not the case.

Moot point really as y'all can do whatever you want and anybody that hasn't been a MEPIS user for 10 years will likely remained confused over what MX-14 is and what it aspires to be. I think I've worn out my welcome here and I'll bid you folks adieu...
You have made several posts in which you describe your worries, hopes, criticisms etc, some of which most people here agree with (at least in part), but once you get a reply you don't like since it disagrees with a point you have raised, you trhow the toys out of the pram.

Why is it that you feel you can make your criticisms, but don't like it when people disagree with them?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

joany

#39 Post by joany »

Inasmuch as there is symbiosis between AntiX and MEPIS, which produced MX-14, why not keep all three distros under the same roof for awhile (at least as long as people are still using MEPIS)? Maybe Warren will find the time and motivation to develop a new MEPIS down the road. After all, he hasn't yet issued an official death notice for MEPIS.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#40 Post by chrispop99 »

joany wrote:Inasmuch as there is symbiosis between AntiX and MEPIS, which produced MX-14, why not keep all three distros under the same roof for awhile (at least as long as people are still using MEPIS)? Maybe Warren will find the time and motivation to develop a new MEPIS down the road. After all, he hasn't yet issued an official death notice for MEPIS.
The voice of reason at last!

Chris
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “Older Versions”