How to install downloaded software on MX-14?

Stevo
Developer

Re: How to install downloaded software on MX-14?

#21 Post by Stevo »

lucky9 wrote:Does gdebi use the same preference settings as Synaptic?
I'm sure it must use apt-preferences, much as Synaptic. I do use dpkg to install multiple files that may depend on one another, since Gdebi only installs one at a time, which is a pain, and might fail. For example, a new version of VLC creates a whole mess of deb files after the build process is finished, so I install them with

Code: Select all

dpkg -i -B *.deb
where the "-B" deconfigures and reconfigures anything that may be an issue, and is harmless if not necessary, and the "*.deb" means "install all files ending with .deb".

starbits

#22 Post by starbits »

Sorry for jumping into this thread so late, but I have questions about installing software too. I really like the clean look of MX-14 and I am hoping it will be the first linux distro that I actually end up using as my primary desktop. (I don't know much command line linux.)

First thing after I completed the install I tried adding packages. I read this: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/doc_mx/mx ... einstaller so I searched Whiskers for MX Package Installer and of course could not find it. Then after more research I found Synaptics and that worked for most things, but Synaptics does not list Thunderbird. I almost gave up, until I finally found the metapackage-installer. That made me regret installing Firefox and Gimp using Synaptics, but that is the price of learning. I still had one problem: Tor was not listed in either Synaptics or the metapackage-installer. So I went to torproject.org and downloaded it into my downloads folder, used archive manager to unzip it (un-tar it?), and if I go through the file system to my downloads folder and the tor subfolder I can actually click on the icon and it works. My question now is: How do I add that Tor icon to Whiskers?

Also, I would like to update the MX-14 document with the basic content of this thread. It may save someone else some time. If someone would be interested in having me do that, please let me know.

Thanks for a really clean distro.
Steve

Jerry3904
Administrator

#23 Post by Jerry3904 »

so I searched Whiskers for MX Package Installer and of course could not find it.
Sorry, those documents are ahead of the release of that package coming up in 10 days or so--we figured everybody would use the onboard documents. When it is installed, just type "MX" in the search box on top and you will see it listed. For now, use the metapackage-installer.

Any time you want to propose changes to the documentation, just copy what is there, edit it with Track Changes enabled, and send it in a PM to me. Clunky system, but that is what we do for now.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

starbits

#24 Post by starbits »

Thanks Jerry, I like your "clunky" documentation system - it is easy to understand and use.
I will look for the new release of MX Package Installer in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, is there a way I can add my Tor icon to the Whiskers menu?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#25 Post by Jerry3904 »

Manual way: create a desktop file in /usr/share/applications/. Copy one of the existing ones, paste it as "Tor," change the Name and Comment and Exec.

You can also install menulibre, which will give you an option to add one (I think).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

starbits

#26 Post by starbits »

Got it! Some things I can do manually. And now I know to research desktop files. Thanks again.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#27 Post by Jerry3904 »

Be sure to save that desktop file somewhere in your home directory, b/c it may not survive an upgrade and you might need it again.

Which makes me think: try first putting that desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications/, log out and back in, and see if that works.

starbits

#28 Post by starbits »

Done. It works. I moved the desktop file to /usr/local/share/applications. It seems both Whiskers and the panel automatically pick it up, and panel left it in the same position as before (when the desktop file was in usr/share/applications).

So questions:
1. Is that the purpose of the /usr/local folder - to come first in the path so it is not affected by system updates?

2. Should I therefore move the Tor files from /home/steve/downloads/tor to usr/local/bin/tor ? I know it is not necessary because things are working now, but what is the correct practice?

BTW, I also edited the desktop file to add the Category so it would appear in the correct places.
You are teaching me a lot. Thanks.

Return to “Older Versions”