MX14 day to day.

zarg2

MX14 day to day.

#1 Post by zarg2 »

Main OS on my media PC since the day of final release.

Qupzilla was buggy at first now solid and fast.

System just does what i need it to do, stream video, store media and allow me to browse the web, in short the OS does it's job and runs steady as a rock.

MX 14 will be the OS on that machine till the hardware fails, I see no need to chase after "sexier" distros anymore than I need a sexier toaster. I need my toaster to toaste bread and my PC to allow me to perform the task I want it to. MX14 fits the bill. :number1:
"Computers are tools; they should primarily be designed to easily complete the task desired"

Dell Dimension 4700 - ANTIX 19 on Kingston A400 SSD
ACER Desktop Athlon 64X2 - MX 19
Acer C720P 32GB SSD 4GB Memory Ex- Chromebook - GalliumOS

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX14 day to day.

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

I see no need to chase after "sexier" distros anymore than I need a sexier toaster.
:rofl:
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

joany

#3 Post by joany »

zarg2 wrote: I see no need to chase after "sexier" distros anymore than I need a sexier toaster. I need my toaster to toaste bread
Well, then you've never seen one of these: http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/09/f ... e_morn.php
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

malspa

#4 Post by malspa »

zarg2 wrote:MX 14 will be the OS on that machine till the hardware fails
Knock on wood. :happy:

NGIB

#5 Post by NGIB »

I generally feel the same way as I have it running on all 3 machines I use and it works just as it should. It bugs me a bit that some of the software in the Wheezy repos is kind of old but such is life. For example, the torrent program I prefer is qbittorrent and it's at version 2.9.8 in Wheezy and 3.1.9 in Windows and Buntu. Is 3.1.9 better? Probably or the developers wouldn't have done the work...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

For example, the torrent program I prefer is qbittorrent and it's at version 2.9.8 in Wheezy and 3.1.9 in Windows and Buntu.
If the difference is significant and if the package is important to you, you can always make a request to the Community Packagers. I see that 3.1.8-2 is in Jessie, and it is often not greatly complicated to backport it from there.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

NGIB

#7 Post by NGIB »

Jerry3904 wrote:
For example, the torrent program I prefer is qbittorrent and it's at version 2.9.8 in Wheezy and 3.1.9 in Windows and Buntu.
If the difference is significant and if the package is important to you, you can always make a request to the Community Packagers. I see that 3.1.8-2 is in Jessie, and it is often not greatly complicated to backport it from there.
I really don't know whether it's way better or not only that it's more advanced version wise. Since the choice of programs is a user decision, I hesitate to ask for stuff that I may be the only one using. Most distros choose "Transmission" as the default torrent program but I just don't like it. Since qbittorrent is maintained for Windows and Linux I use it in each OS. I was surprised to see it as the default in siduction...

uncle mark

#8 Post by uncle mark »

NGIB wrote:I generally feel the same way as I have it running on all 3 machines I use and it works just as it should. It bugs me a bit that some of the software in the Wheezy repos is kind of old but such is life. For example, the torrent program I prefer is qbittorrent and it's at version 2.9.8 in Wheezy and 3.1.9 in Windows and Buntu. Is 3.1.9 better? Probably or the developers wouldn't have done the work...
Such is the tension between stability and new & shiny. To each his own. Me, I don't care how old or what version number something is as long as it does what I want/need it to do.

You said you use gbitorrent in both Windows and Linux. What differences are there between the current Windows version and the older Wheezy version?
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

NGIB

#9 Post by NGIB »

uncle mark wrote:
NGIB wrote:I generally feel the same way as I have it running on all 3 machines I use and it works just as it should. It bugs me a bit that some of the software in the Wheezy repos is kind of old but such is life. For example, the torrent program I prefer is qbittorrent and it's at version 2.9.8 in Wheezy and 3.1.9 in Windows and Buntu. Is 3.1.9 better? Probably or the developers wouldn't have done the work...
Such is the tension between stability and new & shiny. To each his own. Me, I don't care how old or what version number something is as long as it does what I want/need it to do.

You said you use gbitorrent in both Windows and Linux. What differences are there between the current Windows version and the older Wheezy version?
Haven't closely examined them side by side but in general, updates are not released to make something worse or less efficient and many changes are "under the hood". I'll admit that much of it is probably just perception - but perception for each of us is reality. Like most folks, I search for the "perfect" system when in reality it doesn't exist. To me, if Lubuntu had snapshot, and no wifi bugs it would be just about right for me. When Zorin Lite finally updates to using a 14.04 base I will give it a serious look as it does have a snapshot capability built in (not as polished as MX-14 though).

I was actually reading the antix-14 thread today as I was considering trying to put LXDE in it and being based on testing the software is fresher. I saw Ceni mentioned in the thread and didn't read any further. I battled getting wireless to work under Ceni a few years ago (I think I was looking at antix) and I gave up after an hour and went to something else...

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I was actually reading the antix-14 thread today as I was considering trying to put LXDE in it and being based on testing the software is fresher. I saw Ceni mentioned in the thread and didn't read any further. I battled getting wireless to work under Ceni a few years ago (I think I was looking at antix) and I gave up after an hour and went to something else...
FYI - antix comes with wicd as well. no need to use ceni in most cases. and wicd plays well with ceni if you do want to use ceni. But the antix-14 alpha is still pretty rough and not ready for consumption unless you want to break things and report bugs.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Older Versions”