Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-14 Review

malspa

Re: MX-14 Review

#151 Post by malspa »

In that review, he emphasized that the issues were not Xubuntu's fault, and that the computer had given him problems with every distro he tried on it. Doesn't appear to be the same computer he tested MX-14 on.

uncle mark

#152 Post by uncle mark »

malspa wrote:In that review, he emphasized that the issues were not Xubuntu's fault, and that the computer had given him problems with every distro he tried on it. Doesn't appear to be the same computer he tested MX-14 on.
None of that matters. It's all about pretty.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

malspa

#153 Post by malspa »

Unfortunately, Dedoimedo's reviews of MX-14 and Xubuntu 14.04 are poorly done in comparison to Arindam Sen's reviews of the same releases:

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... truly.html

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... eview.html

And those two reviews seem to confirm what I've suspected to be the case: That MX-14 and Xubuntu 14.04 are both very nice releases, and that neither one is all that much better than the other.

eemaestro

#154 Post by eemaestro »

Interesting review. Why is it called MX-14 rather than MEPIS 14? To make sure a new user would not expect to get the KDE with this new distro. ?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#155 Post by Jerry3904 »

Why is it called MX-14 rather than MEPIS 14?
Because it is not a MEPIS release--take a look at the website description: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx

There are also a bunch of threads on here talking about this in detail if you want to follow it out.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

lucky9

#156 Post by lucky9 »

It's not Mepis. It's the result of the Mepis Community devs and the antix devs. Warren was not involved. It uses XFCE for the DE. It has several enhancements not the least of which is the MetaInstaller. Flash Updater and others make it a totally different idea.
It is based on Wheezy. It is 32 bit only.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

gmagar

#157 Post by gmagar »

Plymouth just slows things down...waaay down sometimes. Plymouth on a 'old machine' distro is counterproductive.

I'm a 'watch the text scroll by during boot' man. Granted, sometimes it's too fast to glean anything from, but it always gives me SOME indication of how things are going during bootup and has been useful to me as a troubleshooting aid on many occasions.

Including Plymouth OOTB may indeed increase 'sales', and that would be a good thing. But make it so that the 'eye candy' crowd can keep it, and the 'text' crowd can uninstall it without penalty. I have tried to uninstall it from other distros only to lose the whole distro without warning. This is 'anti-linux'. I didn't keep those distros and they get no 2nd chance. There are too many 'pro-linux' choices out there, of which MX is king! :number1:

Regards,

Gary
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

The Boy Wonder

#158 Post by The Boy Wonder »

gmagar wrote:Plymouth just slows things down...waaay down sometimes. Plymouth on a 'old machine' distro is counterproductive.
Pardon my newbie-ish ignorance then, but if Plymouth slows everything down, how is it that Xubuntu boots up to a desktop in under 9 seconds on my old hardware? MX takes nearly 45 seconds.

I don't care about splash or text either way, but judging purely on what I see and from the perspective of an admittedly "ordinary" Linux user, I can't see that the splash screen on boot-up slows anything down.

gmagar

#159 Post by gmagar »

9 seconds trumps 45 seconds. You win. And you are pardoned.
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

Jerry3904
Administrator

#160 Post by Jerry3904 »

9 seconds is astonishing. ..
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Older Versions”