Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-14 Review

lucky9

Re: MX-14 Review

#141 Post by lucky9 »

Just a note on antiX. On my antiX 13.2 on installation you can choose either Testing or Stable. That said I use MX14 on my single-core Atom Netbook almost exclusively from XFCE. But I also have KDE Standard available. Always nice to have a second DE for a change.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

malspa

#142 Post by malspa »

GuiGuy wrote:Does Crunchbang include persistence, "snapshot" etc?
If not, ISTM these facilities are overwhelming reasons for preferring MX-14.
I don't think CrunchBang includes persistence. But I'd say there are various reasons for preferring either MX-14 or CrunchBang.

CrunchBang certainly has the more eye-catching name. :happy:

I like Openbox about as much as I like Xfce. CrunchBang does a nice job with Openbox; they add other things (including some things from Xfce) so that it's not like you miss having a "full DE" or whatever.

Forums are good, too. I can't say that they're any less friendly or knowledgeable over there than here.

I went back and looked over the notes that I took when I installed CrunchBang. I noted that the installer resembled Debian's, but that the installation was much quicker and easier. I chose the "Manual" partitioning method, set up my partitions, etc., and after that, the installation took 13 minutes to complete. There was a nice post-installation script, which I used for adding LibreOffice and for a few other things.

Openbox doesn't have its own panel, so CrunchBang gives you the tint2 panel, which is nice, but I think most people would prefer something like xfce4-panel. I actually use xfce4-panel in my Openbox set-up in openSUSE. tint2 is quite configurable, though, especially once you know what to do with its config file. Still, that might be considered a drawback (to some people) when comparing MX-14 and CrunchBang.

I think both distros are excellent. I happened to have CrunchBang installed already when MX-14 came out, and could find no reason to replace CrunchBang with MX-14, but if MX-14 had already been running here I don't think I would have wanted to replace it with CrunchBang. Either way, Debian underneath, Wheezy repos available. I wouldn't say that either one's "better" than the other, overall.

The Boy Wonder

#143 Post by The Boy Wonder »

Well I did it! My "review" of sorts here.

malspa

#144 Post by malspa »

The Boy Wonder wrote:Well I did it! My "review" of sorts here.
Wow, nice write-up!

I think it should be mentioned, however, that MX-14 is really "a special edition" of antiX.

arjaybe

#145 Post by arjaybe »

Nice review, Boy Wonder. I dropped a comment on your site.
Green Comet
Space particles.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#146 Post by Jerry3904 »

The Boy Wonder wrote:Well I did it! My "review" of sorts here.
Well written! I do agree with malspa: much magic came from the antiX side of the symbiosis--and especailly the Lead Dev anticapitalista. If you have time and interest to revise your review, I would like to see MX-14 correctly labeled as "a special version of antiX developed in full collaboration with the Mepis Community" (website) so that the roles would be better described.

TIA.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

The Boy Wonder

#147 Post by The Boy Wonder »

Thanks for the corrections and advice. I have edited the post accordingly. I'm always open to correction, suggestions, and constructive commentary. I wouldn't be a very good student if I wasn't!

Special gratitude and thanks to Anticapitalista and his team for this fantastic special edition of AntiX

from one very grateful boy wonder.

malspa

#148 Post by malspa »

karieho wrote:We'll see how Dedo criticizes Xubuntu 14.04.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-trusty.html

Wow. Well, you can compare this to his review of MX-14 (http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/antix-mx-14.html). I wish he would have tried Xubuntu 14.04 on the same machine that he tried MX-14 on, but whatever.

Kinda made me laugh when I saw that he gave Xubuntu 14.04 a 9.7/10 (compared to 5/10 for MX-14). I've never used Xubuntu, but people do seem to be happy with Xubuntu 14.04. I seriously doubt that it's that much better than MX-14, though.

dyfi

#149 Post by dyfi »

malspa quoted:-
I seriously doubt that it's that much better than MX-14, though.
Agreed.

joany

#150 Post by joany »

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but it seems Dediomedo searched for a laptop that won't work well with Linux until he found one: The Lenovo T400. Then used that as his "test box" in order to trash any distro that doesn't work properly OOTB. Doesn't this guy realize that the ability of Linux to work with particular hardware depends largely on the kernel, and that Linux kernel developers and distro developers aren't the same people?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Return to “Older Versions”