MX-14 beta 2

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: MX-14 beta 2

#361 Post by chrispop99 »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Mind.. how do I find out the xfce version on this system? I have googled but xfce4-about won't work and the package cannot be found in synaptic.
The package you need to install is:

Code: Select all

libxfce4ui-utils
It's a bit of an over-kill; it shows a pane with lots of other information on it.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

BitJam
Developer

#362 Post by BitJam »

Eadwine Rose wrote:Mind.. how do I find out the xfce version on this system? I have googled but xfce4-about won't work and the package cannot be found in synaptic.
From a terminal, run:

xfwm4 -V; xfdesktop -V

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#363 Post by Eadwine Rose »

That works! Thanks :D

Love how it gives me two version numbers for them hehe

$ xfwm4 -V
	This is xfwm4 version 4.10.1 (revision 3918e6b) for Xfce 4.10
	Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
	Compiled against GTK+-2.24.10, using GTK+-2.24.10.

Build configuration and supported features:
	- Startup notification support:                 Yes
	- XSync support:                                Yes
	- Render support:                               Yes
	- Xrandr support:                               Yes
	- Embedded compositor:                          Yes
	- KDE systray proxy (deprecated):               No

$ xfdesktop -V
This is xfdesktop version 4.10.2, running on Xfce 4.10.
Built with GTK+ 2.24.10, linked with GTK+ 2.24.10.
Build options:
    Desktop Menu:        enabled
    Desktop Icons:       enabled
    Desktop File Icons:  enabled
Is 4.10.1 the base and the desktop version what runs on it?
Just trying to graps what is what :smile:

Also.. we are not running Xfce on this thing then?
Honestly, I am suddenly thoroughly confused about the namings :laugh:
Oh wait we are.. Xfce 4.10 is the Xfce version
xfwm4... :confused:

:bagoverhead:

Oh man can someone just give me the explanation for all these namings so even the stupid (read: me) can grasp it?
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

BitJam
Developer

#364 Post by BitJam »

xfwm4
The Xfce 4 Window Manager is part of the Xfce Desktop Environment. The actual command to run is xfwm4. To run it in the background use xfwm4 –daemon. The window manager is responsible for the placement of windows on the screen, provides the window decorations and allows you for instance to move, resize or close them.

xfdesktop
The xfdesktop application manages the desktop backdrop. It sets a backdrop image and/or color and it can pop up an applications menu and a list of all running applications when you click on the desktop with the right or middle mouse button respectively. As of Xfce 4.4, xfdesktop also draws icons on the desktop.

So they are both components of the XFCE Desktop Environment. Here is a List of the Core Components.

golden45

#365 Post by golden45 »

Just enabled testing repos and upgraded mx14.I then installed kde 4.8 using meta package installer and upgraded to kde 4.11 .Then installed lxde using meta package installer .I'm switching between the three systems with no problems
I'm seeing all systems running together with each system.Seems like they all are all compitable using testing repos.I logout and login selecting which system I want to run logout- login with no problems.Adding upgraded packages using synaptic with each system .

golden45

#366 Post by golden45 »

Used synaptic to upgrade kde 4.11-5 while using mx-14.You can also use it to install updates.Apt notification is on the bar of mx-14 and reads updates of packages of the three systems.Still running the three of them.Lcde with kde games installed you have to use other in menu to get them all to work-some of them work by just using menu,Its mind blowing what you can do.

jsalpha2

#367 Post by jsalpha2 »

I made a live USB from within Win 7 using Rufus. Everything is working, including Flash on YouTube.
My question is in the boot options I have three choices for persistence; root, static, and home.
I read this thread, but I'm still confused. http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 1&start=30
I'm using a 16GB Sandisk flash drive. I think I should start at step 6.
6. At usb boot menu screen choose root persistence
7. You will be prompted for a new root and user password
8. In desktop, use the meta-installer(Synaptic?) to install a couple of apps eg Clementine, minitube (nothing too big)
9. DO NOT REBOT FROM THE MENU. For changes to save on next boot, you MUST run the Remastercc application -> Save root persistence.
10. Once that has finished, reboot as usual and again choose root persistence in the menu.
11. You should now have the apps you installed in 8 in the menu.
I plan to use the live USB for a while and then try an install on an old Thinkpad. Wish me lck.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#368 Post by dolphin_oracle »

have you made a persistence file. they are not set up by default. use remastercc in the menu to set up a persistence file on your liveusb. Then you can select one of the persistence options at boot and install any app you like.

I generally set up root persistence. this will keep all the apps you install and information in your home folder.

static is good if you don't have a lot of ram...it wills save all changes as you make them.

the other pesistence option will save all changes into ram and then save to the persistence file either on demand or at logout.

with either option, you can use remastercc to incorporate any changes into the usb filesystem, lessening the demands on you ram.

check out the help (the big question mark on the toolbar). there is a persistence section.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#369 Post by Jerry3904 »

check out the help (the big question mark on the toolbar). there is a persistence section.
+1
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

jsalpha2

#370 Post by jsalpha2 »

I've read the persistence section in the help (big question mark on the toolbar). I've read the thread I already mentioned. I've googled until I'm blue in the face.
The original problem was Rufus marking the USB as read only. I've reformatted and used Unetbootin about 6 times. After using remastercc to create a persistence file
and then trying to re-start the computer, it asks me to log back in, won't accept any password, then crashes, when the computer restarts the USB is no longer recognized. Re-format and repeat,
same outcome.

Return to “Older Versions”