MX-14 beta 2

KBD

Re: MX-14 beta 2

#371 Post by KBD »

On a 16 gig stick I would do a full install of MX. I've done it many times. Just format a couple gigs of swap, the rest ext4 partition. Point the installer at it, be careful with grub so you don't overwrite whatever is on your hard drive. With Debian I make it easy on myself and uplug the hard drive of the computer I'm using and it treats the usb stick like the hard drive. With the Buntus the installer is easier and I don't unplug the hard drives. 16 gigs is about the smallest usb stick I'd try it with, but I know it works well, at least it does with Sandisk usb sticks of that size.

KBD

#372 Post by KBD »

Just noticed MX is refusing to save my preferred browser. Every time I try to open an email it asks again for preferred application. Strange because I have LXDE installed on top of MX and it doesn't do that with LXDE.

BitJam
Developer

#373 Post by BitJam »

jsalpha2 wrote:I've read the persistence section in the help (big question mark on the toolbar). I've read the thread I already mentioned. I've googled until I'm blue in the face. The original problem was Rufus marking the USB as read only.
This makes sense. The same problem exists if you create a LiveUSB with the Linux (Unix) "dd" command. We can't write to read-only devices.
I've reformatted and used Unetbootin about 6 times.
Ouch!
After using remastercc to create a persistence file and then trying to re-start the computer, it asks me to log back in, won't accept any password, then crashes, when the computer restarts the USB is no longer recognized.
This sounds very strange.

Can you reboot the LiveUSB when you don't create persistences files?

Can you reboot the LiveUSB after you create persistence files but continue to boot with persistence *disabled*?

The first time you boot with root persistence enabled, you will be asked, during the boot process, to *change* the root password and the password for the demo user. It won't let you keep the current passwords. This is for a modicum of security. It is very hard to infect a LiveCD or a LiveUSB on read-only media. That's why we allow the convenience of well publicized passwords on the LiveCD. But once root persistence is enabled, the live system becomes as vulnerable to infection as an installed system. It would have been unconscionable for us to allow live systems with persistent root to boot with the default passwords.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#374 Post by Jerry3904 »

Just noticed MX is refusing to save my preferred browser. Every time I try to open an email it asks again for preferred application.
Do I understand that you are setting the preferred browser and then wondering why MX-14 asks you about email? If yes, why don't you try seting the preferred email client and see what happens?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

KBD

#375 Post by KBD »

Jerry3904 wrote:
Just noticed MX is refusing to save my preferred browser. Every time I try to open an email it asks again for preferred application.
Do I understand that you are setting the preferred browser and then wondering why MX-14 asks you about email? If yes, why don't you try seting the preferred email client and see what happens?
I thought I had Thunderbird set as preferred email, but evidently didn't. Now Chrome is launching when I click on the links.
Thanks!

jdmeaux1952

#376 Post by jdmeaux1952 »

After a couple of days of busy, I came back to MX-14 to be told there were 1139 UPDATES.

Problem: I Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and I get (what used to be the menu) a series of blocks -- no characters or unprintable characters. I rebooted to see if that would correct it, but no dice. Any right-click on the desktop results with "block characters".
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#377 Post by chrispop99 »

jdmeaux1952 wrote:After a couple of days of busy, I came back to MX-14 to be told there were 1139 UPDATES.

Problem: I Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and I get (what used to be the menu) a series of blocks -- no characters or unprintable characters. I rebooted to see if that would correct it, but no dice. Any right-click on the desktop results with "block characters".
Have you by any chance changed the default repositories?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

jsalpha2

#378 Post by jsalpha2 »

BitJam, Thanks

Can you reboot the LiveUSB when you don't create persistence files? Yes, Of course nothing is saved.

Can you reboot the LiveUSB after you create persistence files but continue to boot with persistence *disabled*?
I tried one more time and created a 2GB persistence file. Then I tried to reboot. When it asked me to log back in I just did not touch anything,but waited about 5 minutes. It may not actually try to create the persistence file until this time and may need to take some time. I believe the persistence file was created,but not set up. It finally re-booted, but I could only log back in without persistence. Tried remastercc again, this time tryingOption 2 Save root persistence. Error, the file/live/config/.conf was not found. Tried Option3 AntiX Live Remaster Do you want to save files under /home in the new remaster - yes Ready to create a new linuxfs file. Shall we begin -, yes Remaster Type Personal, OK Enter an optional title, Test
"Error Remastering Terminated Early" Do you want to save the incomplete file?

I've decided I don't really need to have persistence on my pendrive. It would be much easier just to do a real install.

KBD Thanks, I have heard of trying it your way, either by burning a CD or using two pendrives.

Jerry3904 Your post was not helpful at all. I read the help section, searched the forum and google searched before making my first post here. You did not make me feel welcome.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#379 Post by Jerry3904 »

Jerry3904 Your post was not helpful at all. I read the help section, searched the forum and google searched before making my first post here. You did not make me feel welcome.
Sorry--did not know you knew that document existed.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

BitJam
Developer

#380 Post by BitJam »

jsalpha2 wrote:[...] Then I tried to reboot. When it asked me to log back in I just did not touch anything,but waited about 5 minutes.
Ah. Maybe the problem is that your system is not rebooting when you tell it to and instead is just logging you out of X-windows. This will happen if you have any invalid characters in your hostname. This post contains a link to instructions on how to change your hostname. I think those instructions are not very good because they tell you to edit the /etc/hostname file directly. It is much better to use the "hostname" command because it will check for invalid characters. The only valid characters are letters, digits, the hyphen "-", and the period "." but the hostname cannot start or end with a hyphen or period and (I think) cannot start with a digit.

You can tell if the computer is rebooting because it will switch you to a text screen with scrolling text as the system shuts down and then the screen will go blank, then you will see the Power-On-Self-Test as the machine restarts and then you will get to the bootloader menu that has F1 through F7 menus at the bottom and includes the choices for "Root Persistence", "Static Root Persistence", and so on in the main menu. I've attached a screenshot of what the bootloader menu looks like.

Return to “Older Versions”