anticapitalista
Developer

#1 Post by anticapitalista »

MX-14 is able to localise most of the applications into 10 languages (maybe more) even when running live from cd/dvd/usb/frugal.
Not many distros that fit on a cd can do that!

However, we want to improve it further.

* LibreOffice

At the moment it defaults to US English (unfair I know).
Other users can localise by running the metapackage installer application, Under languages, choose which you want. LO stands for LibreOffice.

What else needs installing to get LibreOffice fulling functional in your language?

If your language needs special fonts, let us know.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Localisation

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

If I select UK English (F2 at the boot menu), LO is already using the UK dictionary when live.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

chrispop99 wrote:If I select UK English (F2 at the boot menu), LO is already using the UK dictionary when live.

Chris
Does LO need anything else? eg thesaurus, help in GB English
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

anticapitalista wrote: Does LO need anything else? eg thesaurus, help in GB English
I think most GB users are used (resigned?) to US help; if it was installed, it would be nice rather than a must-have. I never bother with it.

WRT a thesaurus, there doesn't seem to be a GB one in the repos, only a US one. I'm not sure if it's worth worrying about, certainly from a personal point of view. I always look online if I need to.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

tascoast

#5 Post by tascoast »

Time to install and reboot under M11 using VirtualBox inc guest additions - around 7-8 relaxed minutes

Getting Eng-Au language defaulting in Libra Office? - was already set under locale, same for currency, dates and documents in language settings, presumably working off location specified during install.

Swapped menu to horizontal for a try, around 30 seconds to locate the options, although I got a top screen version, which makes accessing program shortcuts more ergonomic for me anyway, so dismissed trying to shift it to the bottom for the time being.

Thought to click on updates (9 pending) then realised it was a right-click context menu...all pretty easygoing stuff with no warnings or alerts

The only thing I'd want to change now is the chunky window appearance to a more streamlined one but am still looking around settings to do it. I get a max 1024x768 on a 17" monitor

I like it and found it quite intuitive to use. I don't know enough to comment more nor tested anything out much so perhaps should just see if I can find my way around by applying some more intuition and exploration as a relative beginner.

kindly

Mick
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Gaer Boy

#6 Post by Gaer Boy »

anticapitalista wrote:Does LO need anything else? eg thesaurus, help in GB English
I used to install the GB Help, but haven't bothered recently - I find I can cope with US spellings and I suspect most GB users would. I've never really made use of a thesaurus. I think one is available, but it's not straightforward.

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Return to “Older Versions”