update-notifier and -manager

Adrian
Developer

Re: update-notifier and -manager

#61 Post by Adrian »

Can somebody tell me how much we save if we use pygtk vs pyqt? If it's worthy than I will try to change the apt-notifiler to pygtk...

kmathern
Developer

#62 Post by kmathern »

Adrian wrote:Can somebody tell me how much we save if we use pygtk vs pyqt? If it's worthy than I will try to change the apt-notifiler to pygtk...
I'm back in my sid install now:

Here's what I think you would save by eliminating the libqt* packages and python-qt4. I'm not including libqtwebkit4, because if we swap out midori for qupzilla, it has libqtwebkit4 as a dependency:

Code: Select all

apt-cache show python-qt4 libqt4-declarative libqt4-help libqt4-scripttools libqt4-test libqtassistantclient4 | grep ^Installed-Size | awk '{print $2}' | paste -sd+ - | bc
If we stick with midori you can also remove libqtwebkit4:

Code: Select all

apt-cache show python-qt4 libqt4-declarative libqt4-help libqt4-scripttools libqt4-test libqtassistantclient4 libqtwebkit4 | grep ^Installed-Size | awk '{print $2}' | paste -sd+ - | bc
The totals are for the sid versions, they may be slightly different for wheezy.
I'm grepping the "Installed-Size:" line from the apt-cache show <pkgname> command, I imagine when they're compressed in the iso image that they'll take maybe 1/3 of the amount.

Any idea what extra gtk stuff would be pulled in with a pygtk apt-notifier?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#63 Post by Jerry3904 »

If we stick with midori
We are already switching everything to qupzilla now...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Adrian
Developer

#64 Post by Adrian »

Any idea what extra gtk stuff would be pulled in with a pygtk apt-notifier?
python-gtk2 is already installed, there are many things that depend on it: bleachbit, catfish, system-config-printer, etc.

So, is it 18812 (KB right?) worthy to start to translate apt-notifier to pygtk?

kmathern
Developer

#65 Post by kmathern »

Adrian wrote:...So, is it 18812 (KB right?) worthy to start to translate apt-notifier to pygtk?
Yes it's KB, but I don't think we save that much when it's compressed in the iso image. I'm guessing we would save maybe 6MB.

Adrian
Developer

#66 Post by Adrian »

kmathern wrote:
Adrian wrote:...So, is it 18812 (KB right?) worthy to start to translate apt-notifier to pygtk?
Yes it's KB, but I don't think we save that much when it's compressed in the iso image. I'm guessing we would save maybe 6MB.
I think that for 6MB it's too much of pain to learn pygtk from scratch and possible introduce bugs in the script...

anticapitalista
Developer

#67 Post by anticapitalista »

Replacing midori with qupzilla makes the iso 698MB (from 696MB)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

kmathern
Developer

#68 Post by kmathern »

Adrian wrote:
kmathern wrote:
I think that for 6MB it's too much of pain to learn pygtk from scratch and possible introduce bugs in the script...
If the apt-notifier was the only thing using qt4 it would make sense to try come up with a pygtk version. But we have at least two other qt4 apps that I'm aware of, qupzilla and qpdfview.

Stevo
Developer

#69 Post by Stevo »

kmathern wrote: If the apt-notifier was the only thing using qt4 it would make sense to try come up with a pygtk version. But we have at least two other qt4 apps that I'm aware of, qupzilla and qpdfview.
As well as the MEPIS tools and installer...

Return to “Older Versions”