couldnt boot after installing nvidia on MX-16  [Solved]

Touhami-Dz

Re: couldnt boot after installing nvidia on MX-16

#11 Post by Touhami-Dz »

not sure what do u mean by nouveau cuz right now i can just turn on the computer and everything is working fine i was just curious if i can install nvidia drivers for better preformance

Huckleberry Finn

#12 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Ah, then ok (that's Nouveau, the open-source driver). That was asked /tried many times and it may not be worth it (I remember many said either no considerable difference or Nouveau was even better). If you (or the owner) won't need that for a particular reason (gaming, 3D drawing etc.) , Nouveau is ok for daily things...

Also see this (not an official recommendation, just as info) : https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 14#p572314

Touhami-Dz

#13 Post by Touhami-Dz »

ok thank u i will try to install it myself if i have time and check if there is any difference for now it seems like it's working cuz when i run youtube videos without the 7200 gs there is huge fps drops even on 360p but with the gpu seems like there is no fps drops even with 720p and his old monitor doesnt supp 1080p anyway if u know how to check how much drops when runnin a youtube video will be nice to share it will help me check if there is improvement or not
(nouveau vs nvidia driver) and thank u so much man for ur time i love this community <3
if there is no answer soon i will just make this thread as solved

Huckleberry Finn

#14 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Meanwhile, though this was not your question:

1- Try with disabling "hardware acceleration" in browser settings

(Also you can do that in vlc settings: Menu toolbar : Tools → Preferences → Input & Codecs → Codecs → Hardware-accelerated decoding. To disable, select Disable.)

2- I'd like to strongly recommend "Slimjet" as the browser, (I'm on at the moment), it really gives life to all machines, especially older 32bit ones , you'll see the difference. (Not one of those bare bones browsers that lack modern features etc..). The only con: not open-source ..

Just, there was a "not launching" issue with the latest versions for 32 bit, so you can directly install 30.0.5 .deb from their archive page ...

(Again, try when hardw. acc. disabled with Slimjet)

https://www.slimjet.com/

http://www.slimjetbrowser.com/release/a ... t_i386.deb

Huckleberry Finn

#15 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Meanwhile, the amount of ram looks like 488 MiB. => Why don't you try antiX ?

Touhami-Dz

#16 Post by Touhami-Dz »

it's 1 GB 512 x 2 one of them wasnt working and i fixed it , im actually looking for the best OS for this kind of old pcs so antix is better in my case (1gb ram and for somone who never used linux before and noob in general use pc for studying and watching youtube) ? and which version and thank u so much for ur time bro i cant wait to tell people how great linux is with old hardware <3
i will try it that browser and see for now i only tried firefox and chromeium on mx-16

Huckleberry Finn

#17 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

antiX latest version is 19.4 . You can (if you like) first try the Base version ..

... And the new release (21) is hopefully very soon (as always, "when it's ready").

No matter what you do, MX / antiX just don't forget to open Startup Apps (in MX: "Session and Startup" from Menu , "Autostart Apps" tab) and uncheck those that won't be used every boot: Bluetooth, Printer , Clipit, login/logout sounds , even usb unmounter and even MX Updater if you like.. You can start any of them manually whenever needed. This really makes a considerable decrease in Ram usage (in my all MXs idling decrease from 340 MiBs to under 200 , last it was even 121 (MX19.4) when idling (new booted) and connected to internet.

... antiX already starts with just 80 MiB Ram usage when freshly installed (also on live session) :)

Return to “Older Versions”