Do any of ya'll play the free Linux games?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
CyberGhost

Re: Do any of ya'll play the free Linux games?

#21 Post by CyberGhost »

Buck Fankers wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:46 pm
CyberGhost wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02 pm I thought about doing a video on which games are the best and how to install them for those new to Linux and for those who just want something to play to pass the time, but I have no clue as to how to go about doing that. I'm sure I could figure it out quite possibly.
Not much time for games and I'm never bored and I seem to never have enough free time. Bad managing of my time I guess :eek:

But I could use your videos. Sometimes I install MX to people that play games. Hope you get around producing some video on a subject. For a starter, when you get bored, you could post here list of the games you like the best. Hope you do.
Like I said, I've never made a video of any kind so I'm totally clueless about how to do that so it may be a while before that happens. I have a ton of games I downloaded from Synaptic so it would take a little while to list them all. I'll get around to it eventually. I'll probably just make a short list of my most favorite ones in the meantime.

CyberGhost

#22 Post by CyberGhost »

Sparky wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:54 pm
skidoo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:47 pm .
arcade games available from debian repositories
150 titles
with screenshots
https://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/arcade

The above is linked from https://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/
which serves as a TOC page, providing links to each of the various "games categories" pages
Can I install these through MXPI? Do I have to install all of them?
I just got my games from Synaptic Package Manager. Most of them have screenshots but to be honest the screenshots don't always do the games justice. You just have to download them and try them out for yourself. Once you open up Synaptic, scroll down the left column until you see the Games and Amusement section and select it. Then there will be a long list of games to choose from in the right search results area. They each have descriptions. Hope that helps. Also those games from those links are the same ones you can get from Synaptic. To me its easier to use Synaptic.
Last edited by CyberGhost on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

oops

#24 Post by oops »

... Here mostly SuperTuxKart, and Vdrift
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

CyberGhost

#25 Post by CyberGhost »

Here's the list of games I have now that I downloaded from Synaptic Package Manager. I'm also including the games installed by default with MX 18.3. If you want the descriptions of these games then open Synaptic Package Manager, scroll down the left column until you see the Games and Amusement section, select it, then enter the name of the game in the right search box. Note: you don't have to enter the full name of the game. Usually just the first couple/few of the letters will suffice. I haven't played all these games yet because I just downloaded a bunch more. I do have some favorites but I'm not going to list them here. These are the best games out of the list on Synaptic IMO. I'm not really into much strategy games like Wesnoth but lots of people like that game. Anyways hope this helps. Look up the descriptions for each one, check out the screenshots, and decide for yourself. Have fun!

Code: Select all

Armagetron Advanced
AssaultCube
Bouncy the Hungry Rabbit
Briquolo
Cave Express
Cave Packer
Chromium B.S.U.
Do 'SSi Zo 'la
Extreme Tux Racer
Flobopuyo
FooBilliard++
Four-in-a-row
Frogatto
Gweled
Hex-a-hop
I Have No Tomatoes
LMemory
Mad Bomber
Njam
Neverball
Neverputt
Pingus
SuperTux 2
SuperTuxKart
Swell Foop
TORCS
Trigger
Some cool FPS games not listed are: Alien Arena, Open Arena, Xonotic, (Xonotic is best modern one and not available in repos) and Nexuiz
Last edited by CyberGhost on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

CyberGhost

#26 Post by CyberGhost »

Yeah those are all in Synaptic.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#27 Post by JayM »

CyberGhost wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 pm
Point of fact (I'm a bit pedantic): they're not "in Synaptic", they're in the MX Stable repository. Synaptic is juts a GUI app for working with that repository: installing, removing, searching for, and browsing packages. Its main advantage is that it lets you read the long descriptions when you click on a package. The MX Package Installer (MXPI) is another GUI tool for working with the repositories that IMO is better than Synaptic because it also allows you to access the MX Testing, Debian Backports and Flatpaks repos without having to add them as in Synaptic or permanently enable them in MX Repo Manager (and doing so and forgetting to disable them afterward would majorly mess up your installation the next time you update MX.) MXPI temporarily enables test, backports or flatpaks when you click on those tabs then disables them again when you exit. The only things it can't do that Synaptic can are allowing you to pin a package at its current version so it won't update and show long descriptions. BTW the command-line tools apt, apt-get and aptitude will let you do the same things as Synaptic.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#28 Post by JayM »

CyberGhost wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:35 pm Here's the list of games I have now that I downloaded from Synaptic Package Manager. I'm also including the games installed by default with MX 18.3. If you want the descriptions of these games then open Synaptic Package Manager, scroll down the left column until you see the Games and Amusement section, select it, then enter the name of the game in the right search box. Note: you don't have to enter the full name of the game. Usually just the first couple/few of the letters will suffice. I haven't played all these games yet because I just downloaded a bunch more. I do have some favorites but I'm not going to list them here. These are the best games out of the list on Synaptic IMO. I'm not really into much strategy games like Wesnoth but lots of people like that game. Anyways hope this helps. Look up the descriptions for each one, check out the screenshots, and decide for yourself. Have fun!

AisleRiot Solitaire
Armagetron Advanced
AssaultCube
BattleTanks
Berusky2
Blinken
Blob Wars:Blob and Conquer
Bomber
Bos Wars
Bouncy the Hungry Rabbit
Briquolo
Cave Express
Cave Packer
Ceferino
Chromium B.S.U.
CuteMaze
Do 'SSi Zo 'la
Emilia Pinball
Enemylines3
Epiphany
Extreme Tux Racer
Flobopuyo
FooBilliard++
Four-in-a-row
Frogatto
Frozen-Bubble
Funguloids
GNUjump
Gweled
Hearts
Hedgewars
Hex-a-hop
I Have No Tomatoes
jigzo
Kapman
KNetWalk
Kollision
LBreakout2
LMemory
Ltris
Mad Bomber
Magicor
Mahjongg
MiceAmaze
Neverball
Neverputt
Peg-E
Pingus
PipeWalker
Pybik
Raincat
Ri-li
StormBaan Coureur
SuperTux 2
SuperTuxKart
Swell Foop
Tetzle
Tic Tac Toe
TORCS
Trigger
TuxPuck
Some cool FPS games not listed are: Alien Arena, Open Arena, and Nexuiz
(Not to pick on you but can you edit this post, select your list of games and press the </> button in the forum editor like I've done in this reply? It makes it much easier to read. Thanks.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

CyberGhost

#29 Post by CyberGhost »

JayM wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:24 pm
CyberGhost wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 pm
Point of fact (I'm a bit pedantic): they're not "in Synaptic", they're in the MX Stable repository. Synaptic is juts a GUI app for working with that repository: installing, removing, searching for, and browsing packages. Its main advantage is that it lets you read the long descriptions when you click on a package. The MX Package Installer (MXPI) is another GUI tool for working with the repositories that IMO is better than Synaptic because it also allows you to access the MX Testing, Debian Backports and Flatpaks repos without having to add them as in Synaptic or permanently enable them in MX Repo Manager (and doing so and forgetting to disable them afterward would majorly mess up your installation the next time you update MX.) MXPI temporarily enables test, backports or flatpaks when you click on those tabs then disables them again when you exit. The only things it can't do that Synaptic can are allowing you to pin a package at its current version so it won't update and show long descriptions. BTW the command-line tools apt, apt-get and aptitude will let you do the same things as Synaptic.
Thanks for the clarification!

CyberGhost

#30 Post by CyberGhost »

JayM wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:26 pm
CyberGhost wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:35 pm Here's the list of games I have now that I downloaded from Synaptic Package Manager. I'm also including the games installed by default with MX 18.3. If you want the descriptions of these games then open Synaptic Package Manager, scroll down the left column until you see the Games and Amusement section, select it, then enter the name of the game in the right search box. Note: you don't have to enter the full name of the game. Usually just the first couple/few of the letters will suffice. I haven't played all these games yet because I just downloaded a bunch more. I do have some favorites but I'm not going to list them here. These are the best games out of the list on Synaptic IMO. I'm not really into much strategy games like Wesnoth but lots of people like that game. Anyways hope this helps. Look up the descriptions for each one, check out the screenshots, and decide for yourself. Have fun!

AisleRiot Solitaire
Armagetron Advanced
AssaultCube
BattleTanks
Berusky2
Blinken
Blob Wars:Blob and Conquer
Bomber
Bos Wars
Bouncy the Hungry Rabbit
Briquolo
Cave Express
Cave Packer
Ceferino
Chromium B.S.U.
CuteMaze
Do 'SSi Zo 'la
Emilia Pinball
Enemylines3
Epiphany
Extreme Tux Racer
Flobopuyo
FooBilliard++
Four-in-a-row
Frogatto
Frozen-Bubble
Funguloids
GNUjump
Gweled
Hearts
Hedgewars
Hex-a-hop
I Have No Tomatoes
jigzo
Kapman
KNetWalk
Kollision
LBreakout2
LMemory
Ltris
Mad Bomber
Magicor
Mahjongg
MiceAmaze
Neverball
Neverputt
Peg-E
Pingus
PipeWalker
Pybik
Raincat
Ri-li
StormBaan Coureur
SuperTux 2
SuperTuxKart
Swell Foop
Tetzle
Tic Tac Toe
TORCS
Trigger
TuxPuck
Some cool FPS games not listed are: Alien Arena, Open Arena, and Nexuiz
(Not to pick on you but can you edit this post, select your list of games and press the </> button in the forum editor like I've done in this reply? It makes it much easier to read. Thanks.)
Done!

Return to “Community Fun”