Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

The Future ?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
User avatar
cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: The future ?

#21

Post by cyrilus31 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:40 am

It's a pleasure to read a real book at the end of the day and give my eyes a deserved rest :cool:

User avatar
anticapitalista
Developer
Posts: 6302
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: The future ?

#22

Post by anticapitalista » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 am

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 pm
A sign of things to come? https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367
Like an on-line library, except you have to pay.

*sigh* bring back the good ol' days of free school books, free or subsidized school meals, free higher education...
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

User avatar
cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: The future ?

#23

Post by cyrilus31 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:03 am

anticapitalista wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 am
Gordon Cooper wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 pm
A sign of things to come? https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367
Like an on-line library, except you have to pay.

*sigh* bring back the good ol' days of free school books, free or subsidized school meals, free higher education...
You know you can't generalise in every country and it depends on school grade. By the way what grade do you teach?

User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: The future ?

#24

Post by KBD » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 am

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 pm
A sign of things to come? https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367
That's why I'm careful about buying ebooks. I like to buy those free of DRM, and generally only buy ebooks I know I'll re-read. Otherwise I can get them for free through Overdrive. You never really own anything you buy digitally. You buy a 'license' which can be revoked at any time.

User avatar
anticapitalista
Developer
Posts: 6302
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: The future ?

#25

Post by anticapitalista » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:57 am

cyrilus31 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:03 am
anticapitalista wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 am
Gordon Cooper wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 pm
A sign of things to come? https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367
Like an on-line library, except you have to pay.

*sigh* bring back the good ol' days of free school books, free or subsidized school meals, free higher education...
You know you can't generalise in every country and it depends on school grade. By the way what grade do you teach?
I teach University students (during the summer in the UK), and I used to teach 17-18 year old Greek students who wanted to study in the UK.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

bigbenaugust
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am

Re: The future ?

#26

Post by bigbenaugust » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm

In our house, all of the textbooks all stay at home-- but then, so do the kids. :)

The thing about ebooks is in that BBC article up there-- unless you download them from the Gutenberg Project, you don't actually own them. They belong to Amazon/MS/B&N/whomever and they can be erased anytime. It's like a library you pay for.

That's why there are verrrrrrry few ebooks in the house, and some of those get printed for the kids.
--Ben

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 19455
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: The future ?

#27

Post by richb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm

I could just see what would happen if Amazon erased the ebooks people paid to "rent'. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: The future ?

#28

Post by KBD » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm

richb wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm
I could just see what would happen if Amazon erased the ebooks people paid to "rent'. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.
They did that once with 1984 :(
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/tech ... mazon.html

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 19455
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: The future ?

#29

Post by richb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:13 pm

KBD wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm
richb wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm
I could just see what would happen if Amazon erased the ebooks people paid to "rent'. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.
They did that once with 1984 :(
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/tech ... mazon.html
For cause.
books were added to the Kindle store by a company that did not have rights to them,
“When we were notified of this by the rights holder, we removed the illegal copies from our systems and from customers’ devices, and refunded customers,” he said.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: The future ?

#30

Post by turtlebay777 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:29 pm

I only read the free ebooks available from the Gutenberg site which I download to my pc then transfer to Kindle by wire.

https://www.gutenberg.org/
Last edited by turtlebay777 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Community Fun”